Author Topic: Fuel tank and pump, electrolysis on tank? New pump?  (Read 9908 times)

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel tank and pump, electrolysis on tank? New pump?
« Reply #30 on: August 29 2024, 12:54:09 AM »
Sorry - I just knew they sold an “efi” tank for a gbody, doesn’t surprise me that they sell the same tank as everyone else.

It’s been awhile since I’ve been in a Buick tank, but I can tell you my fbody tank does not have baffling in it from the factory. The stock setup use a fuel bucket/venturi system. I have omitted the factory setup and have 2 450s in the same space. They set in a “sump” if you could even call it that, each pump staggered off the bottom 1/2”-3/4” respectively
I guess what I’m trying to say is my car goes mid 1.3 60ft - I try not to run it hard below half tank. But on the occasion I have, I’ve seen zero pressure drop at the rail when I’m doing stupid stuff on the street.
IhaveaV8

Offline slojim

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29 2024, 02:08:14 PM »
I was just thinking that, while I've lurked on and off, I've rarely engaged, so it's interesting that I have a 3rd page on my post.  That said, now I have to eat some humble pie. 
When my tank came in, I was on one leg and hobbling around.  I saw the pie pan, tried my best to get an internal picture, and saw the other side of the tank - no baffle.  But when I was boxing it up to return it today, I reached in and - well, there's a baffle.  It's just not the same style I had seen in other posts.  I'll post a picture this weekend when I paint it. 

That said - thanks Xracerx13 for Brian's email - he got back to me right away, and actually it seems he and the tech (Bill) were both responding.  They've been helpful, even taking pictures of the tanks they have - they have 21 right now by the way, and unlike Spectra (who makes a million tanks) - they knew exactly what we were talking about.  I ordered from somewhere nearby so I could return it if it was wrong- but actually, GBodyparts has a better price even with shipping.  I had to apologize to them for essentially wasting their time but based on their engagement, I will feel good about ordering from them going forward. 

Some of this I'm over documenting because I read through so many posts myself to try to figure out where to order the right tank and there were so many contradictions - so maybe this helps someone. 

So this weekend - I'm painting the tank black, pulling the fuel rail and injectors, blowing out the rail, inspecting and soaking the injectors, and blowing out the fuel lines - I am pretty sure I'll find I need new fuel lines but I need to clear them anyway before I remove them.  I promised myself I wouldn't order more parts until I got some work done - I don't need to add to my pile of "Seemed like the right idea at the time" parts.

There - I have it in writing before the Buick community that I WILL WORK ON MY GN this weekend!!!!

Offline slojim

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01 2024, 05:36:31 PM »
painted the tank black with some rustoleum enamel and a cheap foam roller, looks pretty decent. 
pulled the regulator and blew out the fuel lines - got about a quart of orange usta-b-gas.
My car is pulled in to a garage just long enough for it so I have no access to the front side of the engine bay, and it is lowered a little with aftermarket springs.  All this to say I'm realizing that changing the fuel line where it is will be a royal pain due to access. 
Most conservative plan would be to get 2 more jack stands and jack it up on all 4 corners in the garage, then change the fuel lines. 
Easiest plan would be to put on a new fuel pump, remount the gas tank, start the car, and pull it out and run it up on ramps (with 2 jack stands under the front as safety back-up - I have plastic ramps). 
If the car is on ramps for more than a few days, I'll get a notice from the HOA but it won't be a big deal.  I'm more worried about bad weather or a tropical storm (Gulf Coast).
Guess I just figured out what I'm doing.  But I made some progress, so now I get to order the fuel lines and pump, and go pick up 2 more jack stands.  And look for a fp regulator rebuild kit. 
I shut down my aquarium in February as we were thinking about moving but did not - seems my Buick is filling the void in time and $!

Offline slojim

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01 2024, 06:04:32 PM »
Darn, now I have quickjack envy!

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #34 on: September 02 2024, 11:05:23 AM »
Fuel lines are no fun.  Are the current ones rusted badly? Sounds like a job for "next" year.😂
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline slojim

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21 2024, 10:09:03 PM »
So I got a pump and install parts from racetronix.  I think the pump sits on the sender and the filter stick sits below, and there's no need for the soft rubber boot, right?  Sender, hose, pump, sender foot, sock. 
My sender cleaned up better than expected with free-all and a wire brush. The free all seemed to eat the rust.  Cleaned the pins and connectors but still have 2 ohms from pump connector to power connector, I think this will do for now. 
I won't get the tank up in for a few more weekends

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #36 on: September 22 2024, 12:56:50 PM »
I don't think anyone used the rubber sleeve. I believe it was for noise damping.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline slojim

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29 2024, 09:50:07 PM »
just keeping myself accountable:  I did not expect to have time for a few weekends, but I did have a few hours this afternoon - got the pump installed on the hangar, hanger in the tank, cleaned up the tank straps and got the tank in place and hoses hooked up.  Still need to wire it up. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal