Author Topic: Baseline suspension pro upper control kit  (Read 13025 times)

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
Baseline suspension pro upper control kit
« on: July 15 2014, 09:25:37 PM »
Finished the install this evening along with centering the rear end and setting pinion angle to 2.5 degrees.  Here's what the calculator came up with.  I took a wild ass guess with the weight numbers as I haven't been to a scale yet.  Do these numbers look somewhere in the ballpark of making a decent launch? Questions for you suspension smart guys,  after centering the rear end, I could only get 2.5 degrees on the pinion angle as one of the upper control arms was bottomed out.  How can I fix this?
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
Re: Baseline suspension pro upper control kit
« Reply #1 on: July 15 2014, 09:43:32 PM »
Subscribed
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15 2014, 10:01:10 PM »
First off, are you sure on the tire height Jason. I think you're closer to a 25.4" height. Your car also weighs more than 3200 lbs with you in it. Take it to a truck stop with a scale and drive the front wheels on, get a weight, do it with all 4, and then just the back wheels. You should be closer to 3400 or 3600. A stripped bare T will be in the 33oo+ range. Did you take the measurements with the stock arms first so you can calculate original IC location?
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 15 2014, 10:09:37 PM »
I think 2.5 degs, if Negative, is perfectly adequate for a four link car with an automatic transmission.  After all, the pinion can only rise the amount that the bushing deflection will allow...that's the reason pinion snubbers are not needed on a coil spring car with a four link suspension.

At least your ic is under the car instead of out in front of the front tires.  Might be nice to have it a bit further back but most G-bodies seem to hook pretty well in this area.  It's close to the thrust line so the car should launch pretty much in a parallel line without the front end wasting motion going up instead of forward.

Pretty sure your weights are off quite a bit.  I think one of my cars was more like 2200 on the front and 1500 on the back but I may be mixing cars up.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15 2014, 10:21:29 PM »
You can improve the pinion angle with longer lower control arms or offset bushings.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15 2014, 10:41:17 PM »
I did not take measurements before Charlie. Add that to the list of things I've forgotten lately.  Adjusted the tire numbers and weight but didn't make much of a difference on the anti-squat.  Need to get to a scale to see what she weighs.  Offset bushing.... I was thinking of bringing the rear end ride height down another 1/2 to 1 inch.  Right now she is sitting about 1/2 to 3/4 inch higher than the front
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15 2014, 11:20:53 PM »
If the IC is correct then you shouldn't have to worry about the height in the rear. The IC correction will actually help you transfer the weight better. The off set bushings are a real PITA to set properly, believe me. Since you've also got poly bushings in the lowers you should be about 1.5 degrees on the pinion angle. Rubber ones move more.
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16 2014, 03:39:00 PM »
No one asked for the easy answer. ;) But, there are lots of adjustable and double-adjustable LCAs out there these days.

I do know that my car performs well for having just a set of single-adjustable uppers and poly-U/roto-joint lowers - 1.7 60' on 315/35R17 drag radial off the footbrake (the transbrake will over-power the tires so it is never used).
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16 2014, 04:39:21 PM »
With everything being equal...how much torque does it take to get one of these bricks to go into the mid 1.5's for a short time?

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16 2014, 08:01:58 PM »
No one asked for the easy answer. ;) But, there are lots of adjustable and double-adjustable LCAs out there these days.
While that may be true, these arms aren't stock length or even usable in the stock location. These are designed to bolt to a bracket that mounts where the upper arm mounts on the frame. Then the arms attach.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #10 on: July 16 2014, 08:26:52 PM »
I guessed that was one of Kevin's set ups from the diagram...I really like the idea
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16 2014, 08:31:32 PM »
It is Steve. That's how I came up with the mods I made to my "new" frame. :rock:

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16 2014, 09:16:37 PM »
Called the local scrap yard and they have a scale.  3 weighings later and I have some usable numbers and it only cost 5 bucks!  Anyway, total weight with me in the car and a half a bag of gas is 3560. Front is 2060 and rear is 1500.  Motörhead, I have stock length lower control arms from UMI with poly bushings.  Here are the new numbers
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16 2014, 09:27:07 PM »
With everything being equal...how much torque does it take to get one of these bricks to go into the mid 1.5's for a short time?

Depends a lot on weight, gearing, and torque multiplication in the torque converter.  See the attachment (pardon the Chevy... it was a custom power curve).
« Last Edit: July 16 2014, 09:35:47 PM by motorhead »
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16 2014, 09:29:13 PM »
Thanks...need my reading glasses. Gettin' old ya' know.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal