Author Topic: Front suspenion work  (Read 12294 times)

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
Front suspenion work
« on: October 17 2012, 01:38:11 PM »
Hey guys, my steering wheel has a lot of play in it since i had the car(i thought all old cars had play in the wheel).  Anywho, here of late, my has been shaking at certain speeds, and Im starting to think that I need to do some work on the suspension.  I know for a fact that I need springs because someone said something to me a while ago(car wasnt running at the time so i ignored it). I need to know what I should purchase so I know Im safe on the road. Please keep in mind that I just spent a lot money getting the car fixed, so my funds are limited right now. Lol. what would be the first purchase for some of you?  thanks

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
Re: Front suspenion work
« Reply #1 on: October 17 2012, 01:46:55 PM »
A pistol
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17 2012, 01:48:40 PM »
How many miles on the chassis? Do you know if any front suspension components have been replaced?

'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17 2012, 02:20:20 PM »
A pistol
Hahahahaha.  Have one of those.
Im gonna assume that all is stock Supersix. I'd estimate roughly 150k on the body? I wish I knew. Sorry I cant be more help.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17 2012, 02:38:51 PM »
Go to your local front end shop & ask for a free estimate (maybe it's $25?) & see what they list as being weak. Personally I don't touch front ends or transmissions & a breakdown of needed work can come in handy for your buddy that does work on them. They usually credit it back if you do the work there. If not you still have a good idea whats going on for small $$

If the steering wheel is loose inside you can do that with $20 in tools. I have a few writeups with pics I stole from here & there when we did mine & modded the column shifter for a T Brake which I still have never used except playing in the parking lot. 
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17 2012, 03:43:05 PM »
Thats a great idea.  Guess i could go and do that.  Thanks.  Let you know what they say

Offline TRICKSIXPA

• Bone Stock
  • Shiny Parts Addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17 2012, 05:35:22 PM »
A shakey steering wheel is usually driving on tires that need to be balanced. You will notice it when your driving on the highway. First thing I would recommend would be shocks and springs. All those bushings and ball joints on the front control arms add up really fast. Labor is killer if your getting it done at a shop and most places will charge you extra to allign the front end cause of the extra work needed. Some will charge you but not properly adjust the alignment. Good luck
I don't care What Congress does as long as they don't do it on the streets and scare the kids!!

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17 2012, 06:19:55 PM »
Probably the ball joints and also most likely the upper control arm bushing by the down pipe.
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17 2012, 06:55:58 PM »
A shakey steering wheel is usually driving on tires that need to be balanced. You will notice it when your driving on the highway. First thing I would recommend would be shocks and springs. All those bushings and ball joints on the front control arms add up really fast. Labor is killer if your getting it done at a shop and most places will charge you extra to allign the front end cause of the extra work needed. Some will charge you but not properly adjust the alignment. Good luck
:(

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17 2012, 06:57:37 PM »
I figured the alignement and/or wheels would've been fine because the car doesn't pull left or right. I priced some parts and yes, they do add up fast.

Offline Pyro6

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17 2012, 07:15:43 PM »
First thing you want to do is a "dry park" test. With the car on the ground, sneak under the car while somebody does you a favor by shaking the steering wheel back and forth like a NASCAR driver does on a caution lap to clean his tires. Watch all the tie rod ends, idler arm, and pitman arm connections. Just cause it isn't a joint it doesn't mean it can't have play. Next, floor jack each lower control arm as far past the spring perch toward the wheel as you can. Get that same schmuck that is doing you a favor to pry moderately under the tire and you watch the upper control arm bushings and both ball joints. Zero play is the spec. The lower ball joints are wear indicator but rarely do they cause a shimmy. Like mentioned earlier, I would want to be assured ALL tires are balanced and not "out-of-round" or a belt shifted. As also can happen: take a torque wrench to all lugs. I like 90 ft lbs. By now you should know IF you need to buy something.

Offline Pyro6

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17 2012, 07:17:40 PM »
Forgot, rule of thumb is the only way an alignment can cause a shimmy is if the caster is excessively positive. Rarely happens.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17 2012, 08:02:26 PM »
Got it. Thanks. I'll probably take it to a shop.  Wouldnt want to take any chances of me missing anything

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18 2012, 02:06:17 AM »
I'd make sure the steering box is adjusted too. That's a nice and free.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18 2012, 03:14:51 PM »
I'd make sure the steering box is adjusted too. That's a nice and free.
Unsure of the location of that? And, how do I know if it's adjusted properly?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal