Author Topic: Miss, bad lobe, bad valve, bad injector connection?  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Miss, bad lobe, bad valve, bad injector connection?
« on: September 14 2012, 09:37:44 AM »
Been trying to help a guy with a car via the usual long distance.

Started out with a car that was running rough and the the number three exhaust pipe was glowing red.

My first thought, obviously, was a bad cam lobe on 3E.  After some effort, it was confirmed to be wiped.  The cam was eventually replaced and the car ran better, but, still had a bit of a miss and the pipe still glowed red after awhile.

Guy remembered the number three exhaust valve was badly discolored so it sounded like it may have been burnt which would appear to be logical if the valve had not been opening much.  He had another set of heads and he put one on.  Strangely, the car ran better but still had a light miss and the blms were pegged out on the high end and the header was still trying to glow.  This was at idle.  Driving, the blms were not far off.  I figured he had a vacuum leak but none was found.

I told him to remove the injector connectors one at a time to see if he could isolate the miss.  He did not find a miss but the blms jumped up each time he removed one which makes sense.

Strangely, when he had made the circuit and done them all, the miss had disappeared, the blms were in the low 130s, and the pipe no longer glowed red....

It would appear that the injector connection was bad, intermittent, or something.   Seems like someone mentioned a problem here recently with an injection connector.  I am not sure if the problem is tired connectors, or what.

My next suggested step was to swap injectors around...but we did not get that far.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
Re: Miss, bad lobe, bad valve, bad injector connection?
« Reply #1 on: September 14 2012, 10:58:59 AM »
wow. that falls under one of those "try everything until you get something" troubleshootin g techniques. its hard to diagnose intermittent issues though.  I hate em

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 14 2012, 11:52:18 AM »
seems to have been a "perfect storm" with several things being wrong.....
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline $1987 GN$

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14 2012, 11:53:57 AM »
More and more electrical issues are going to start to crop up just due to age and abuse most have put these puppies through.

AJ___

Offline ULYCYC

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14 2012, 01:04:57 PM »
I assume after the failed lobe and glowing header the motor was stripped down and checked.  I bet that piston is toast also.
ED BAKER
87-T, Maplight equipped rear view mirror..
01 Park Ave Ultra S\'charged
BPG#1458

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14 2012, 03:10:42 PM »
Yeah, that is a case of cause and effect.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline I Love Factory ECMs

• GIMP
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: -16
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14 2012, 04:32:09 PM »
Infant Mortality rate....;^) Why i prefure brand new parts over buying used one's,you just never know on anything without a O.D. or Timer on the hour's ran. computer cars an eletricail problem's  = Bad MoJo!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal