Author Topic: Fuel tank and pump, electrolysis on tank? New pump?  (Read 8390 times)

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel tank and pump, electrolysis on tank? New pump?
« Reply #30 on: August 29 2024, 12:54:09 AM »
Sorry - I just knew they sold an “efi” tank for a gbody, doesn’t surprise me that they sell the same tank as everyone else.

It’s been awhile since I’ve been in a Buick tank, but I can tell you my fbody tank does not have baffling in it from the factory. The stock setup use a fuel bucket/venturi system. I have omitted the factory setup and have 2 450s in the same space. They set in a “sump” if you could even call it that, each pump staggered off the bottom 1/2”-3/4” respectively
I guess what I’m trying to say is my car goes mid 1.3 60ft - I try not to run it hard below half tank. But on the occasion I have, I’ve seen zero pressure drop at the rail when I’m doing stupid stuff on the street.
IhaveaV8

Offline slojim

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29 2024, 02:08:14 PM »
I was just thinking that, while I've lurked on and off, I've rarely engaged, so it's interesting that I have a 3rd page on my post.  That said, now I have to eat some humble pie. 
When my tank came in, I was on one leg and hobbling around.  I saw the pie pan, tried my best to get an internal picture, and saw the other side of the tank - no baffle.  But when I was boxing it up to return it today, I reached in and - well, there's a baffle.  It's just not the same style I had seen in other posts.  I'll post a picture this weekend when I paint it. 

That said - thanks Xracerx13 for Brian's email - he got back to me right away, and actually it seems he and the tech (Bill) were both responding.  They've been helpful, even taking pictures of the tanks they have - they have 21 right now by the way, and unlike Spectra (who makes a million tanks) - they knew exactly what we were talking about.  I ordered from somewhere nearby so I could return it if it was wrong- but actually, GBodyparts has a better price even with shipping.  I had to apologize to them for essentially wasting their time but based on their engagement, I will feel good about ordering from them going forward. 

Some of this I'm over documenting because I read through so many posts myself to try to figure out where to order the right tank and there were so many contradictions - so maybe this helps someone. 

So this weekend - I'm painting the tank black, pulling the fuel rail and injectors, blowing out the rail, inspecting and soaking the injectors, and blowing out the fuel lines - I am pretty sure I'll find I need new fuel lines but I need to clear them anyway before I remove them.  I promised myself I wouldn't order more parts until I got some work done - I don't need to add to my pile of "Seemed like the right idea at the time" parts.

There - I have it in writing before the Buick community that I WILL WORK ON MY GN this weekend!!!!

Offline slojim

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01 2024, 05:36:31 PM »
painted the tank black with some rustoleum enamel and a cheap foam roller, looks pretty decent. 
pulled the regulator and blew out the fuel lines - got about a quart of orange usta-b-gas.
My car is pulled in to a garage just long enough for it so I have no access to the front side of the engine bay, and it is lowered a little with aftermarket springs.  All this to say I'm realizing that changing the fuel line where it is will be a royal pain due to access. 
Most conservative plan would be to get 2 more jack stands and jack it up on all 4 corners in the garage, then change the fuel lines. 
Easiest plan would be to put on a new fuel pump, remount the gas tank, start the car, and pull it out and run it up on ramps (with 2 jack stands under the front as safety back-up - I have plastic ramps). 
If the car is on ramps for more than a few days, I'll get a notice from the HOA but it won't be a big deal.  I'm more worried about bad weather or a tropical storm (Gulf Coast).
Guess I just figured out what I'm doing.  But I made some progress, so now I get to order the fuel lines and pump, and go pick up 2 more jack stands.  And look for a fp regulator rebuild kit. 
I shut down my aquarium in February as we were thinking about moving but did not - seems my Buick is filling the void in time and $!

Offline slojim

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01 2024, 06:04:32 PM »
Darn, now I have quickjack envy!

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #34 on: September 02 2024, 11:05:23 AM »
Fuel lines are no fun.  Are the current ones rusted badly? Sounds like a job for "next" year.😂
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal