Author Topic: Electric Cars  (Read 1687 times)

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
Electric Cars
« on: May 23 2017, 10:37:04 AM »
...snip..
On average, driving is mostly about short trips – to work, to the gym, to the grocery store.
 Unfortunately, modern consumers don’t buy cars based on their average needs. They buy for their exceptional needs.

Gasoline has taught them that. For all its faults, gasoline is still an amazing fuel.
 While battery makers burn the midnight oil trying to figure out how to reach a specific energy of 450 Wh/kg, gasoline already offers 12,000 Wh/kg.
 Even if you account for efficiency differences, the contrast is still enormous.

The simple truth is that electric car manufacturers are still scuffling around, trying to figure out how to make money off small, mainstream EVs.
They need those tax credits because they’re losing cash on every electric car they sell.

Even Tesla, Inc. – which sells big, expensive EVs – is still struggling with the bottom line. Recently released numbers showed
 that Tesla lost $330 million in the first quarter of 2017. Those losses were 17% more than the first quarter of last year.

Tesla, Inc. lost $330 million in the first quarter of 2017. (Source: Tesla, Inc.)

No one was ever more forthright about this matter than Sergio Marchionne, the refreshingly honest chief executive
of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. Talking about his company’s all-electric Fiat 500e in 2014, he said ,
 “I hope you don’t buy it because every time I sell one it costs me $14,000.”
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Cars
« Reply #1 on: May 23 2017, 05:06:57 PM »
I find not much gives me the feeling of twisting the key, hearing the starter spin the engine over and an engine coming to life and settling into a loping idle. Cherry bombs, flowmasters, open headers all give me that "feeling". I love me some Mickey Thompson BBB headers. Even the walker turbo muffs are great. And a v twin lope is just flat awesome.

Cant be duplicated with an electric motor no matter how quick or efficient the vehicle is.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Pyro6

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Cars
« Reply #2 on: May 23 2017, 06:42:17 PM »
Something about driving a golf cart at 100+ mph is intriguing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal