Author Topic: tuning...false knock  (Read 4871 times)

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
tuning...false knock
« on: September 02 2016, 11:57:58 AM »
finally got a day to tune a little. re-set FP to 43 with hose off, put it back on and set out. started with top of 3rd tuning, got it down to 808 and then went to first gear/ launch tuning. I have a knock alarm, and what I believe to be tire spin related, knock alarm goes off, SM didn't record any knock. So any way, launched twice, both times alarm goes off so I lift. I have first gear TT chip set at 125, 3 lower than default. I go again and ignore alarm and keep in it ( probably not smart but pretty sure it false) run it up to about 100 and check recall, shows low O2's of 782 at 96mph and .02 knock at 21, run again, alarm goes of as tires start to spin, run it up to about 100 again and hit recall. This time its shows 796 at 98mph and 4.2 knock at 17 mph. 

down pipe seems to have plenty of room around it? really cant figure out this knock/false knock issue. before I started tuning, just pissing around with chip on defaults it was kicking the alarm off when I would jump on it from a stand still??

Any ideas where to look next? I would think if its real knock it wouldn't be going away and it dosent happen at higher speed full throttle runs
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline aminga

• Chicks Dig the Power Bulge
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
  • Chicks Dig the Power Bulge
    • View Profile
Re: tuning...false knock
« Reply #1 on: September 02 2016, 12:05:35 PM »
May be from wheelspin.  Remember the knock alarm is not the same as KR.  The Alarm is reading the raw input from the knock sensor
86 Regal T-type. One Owner. Twisted 6 Racing Built 109, FTSS Revolution X 206/210 Cam, T&D 1.65 Rockers, Diamond Forged Pistons, RJC Power Plate, TA6262DBB, PTE SLIC, Alkycontrol pump and Kit and ISAC Controller, Bailey TR6 Wastespark, TA Headers, ATR Downpipe, Racetronix Walbro pump and hot wire ki

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02 2016, 12:11:18 PM »
Without PL...it's tough to tell...but likely from wheelspin like Al stated. KR gauge would go red instantly at launch with my car. Installed an RJC engine brace and all's quiet.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02 2016, 01:00:03 PM »
I made an engine brace, it isn't pretty but it works. I'll get a pic next time I have car up in the air. do you run it up tight to the frame. I have a piece of radiator hose between the adjustment bolt and the frame for a vibration cushion. Had it before all this so its not the culprit, just wondered where you set yours??

I want to get this sorted out as that alarm is un nerving as hell!!
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02 2016, 01:39:28 PM »
I'd invest in PL...but we've been over this a thousand times...and it ain't gonna happen. In regards to the RJC engine brace...a few things. It's damn close to the brake line at the proportioning valve...so I lightly bent the line away. I also massaged the brace to mimic the same angle on the frame...and then adjusted it for very light pressure...so it has a little give to it.

One time I had the knock sensor going in circles in the car. Ended up the exhaust was touching on the driveshaft. The DS on my car is a custom aluminum piece from Norbs' car...and Norbs goes overkill on everything...s o the mind reels at the diameter.

Check your trans mount...rubber maybe rotted away from being oil soaked over the years. Just throwing that out there.
« Last Edit: September 02 2016, 01:49:50 PM by Scoobum »

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02 2016, 02:46:02 PM »
Are you still running the stock MAF?
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02 2016, 03:49:00 PM »
I want to get this sorted out as that alarm is un nerving as hell!!

Then disconnect it and get a PowerLogger.  I had TurboLink, DirectScan, and the PL over the countless years I own my Buick.  Always tuned for zero knock retard and it sold with the factory headgaskets in place. Best money I ever spent.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02 2016, 06:30:02 PM »
Well been tinkering today, rereading Steve's site. To begin the tuning process, he says set the FP to 43 line off and then drive it. When its hot, stop and O2 should be in the 780-800 area, then to adjust FP accordingly to get number there and still have good idle. Had to pick up little guy at school so took buick and at a intersection punched it...alarm goes off and I stay in it up to about 50 mph....check recall and I have 4.2 knock and 772 O2's at 17mph?? So get home check FP its at 43. Go for a drive and long story short, I need to turn FP up to 48 to get hot O2 number up to 785ish. Have not run it yet but I believe that my car likes a bit more FP than 43 line off. Will check launch tomorrow and tune from there if knock is gone.

Also attached pic's of my home made engine brace...ugly but works and will never break

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03 2016, 12:02:59 AM »
1-What would it take for you to buy PL?
2-Guessing is never a good idea with these engines in regards to fueling/timing...which is what you're doing.
3-Why does Eric recommend 43 PSI line off for his chips?
4-Why is the high/low gear fueling adjustable in Erics chips?
5-Is it just me...or does Hillary look like she's demonically possessed when she does a 'bobble head' in front of those reporters.

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03 2016, 11:55:41 AM »
will I need a different O2 sensor for the PL?

Offline gusszgs

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 1
  • Limited quick brick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03 2016, 12:32:53 PM »
will I need a different O2 sensor for the PL?
No, the PL will allow you to add a WB to the analog block to record data, but no need for a different a NB for the powerlogger.
Jim
1987 T Limited

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03 2016, 07:16:58 PM »
Well I guess if im going to keep racing this lemon I better bite the bullet and order a pl. Then spend a month learning how to use it. Last race of the year is 10-2 and I got my hands on some slicks so I hope I pick up on this pl use fast. Have no more excuses for a slow car :rock:

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03 2016, 08:09:10 PM »
Well I guess if im going to keep racing this lemon I better bite the bullet and order a pl. Then spend a month learning how to use it. Last race of the year is 10-2 and I got my hands on some slicks so I hope I pick up on this pl use fast. Have no more excuses for a slow car :rock:
If you have a scan master then you will identify with data page on the PL. If you have a 5.7 chip, then you'll like how easy it is to change the fuel/timing without using the pedal.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03 2016, 08:35:42 PM »
Yes the pedal is tedious..that will be nice

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04 2016, 02:58:21 AM »
Your scanmaster will run faster and show wideband A/F along with NB 02.

It'll also save you a few bucks on the wideband kit as you can get the cheaper one with no gauge. Only the sensor and brain.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal