Author Topic: I think I made my pistons ''too efficient''. Logs inside....  (Read 8031 times)

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
Re: I think I made my pistons ''too efficient''. Logs inside....
« Reply #15 on: August 21 2016, 10:37:27 AM »
There's a 109 out there with Earls slugs in it running 25 PSI with zero issues...so that tells me it ain't the slugs. Looking at his files, he's running extremely lean and the timing is showing anything from 25 to 42 degrees...and it's not showing KR...for some reason. I'd spend 80 bucks on a chip from Eric that's burned exactly for Earls combo. At least I'd know the chip is correct. It could  also be something as simple as the ECM on the fritz.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #16 on: August 21 2016, 10:56:08 AM »
nothing to do with the damn pistons.  Get a TT chip and set the timing at 18 degs in all gears.  Simplify the hell out of it.  Be sure you don't have an injector that is not working right.

Not sure what size of injectors you have but to make it even more simple go to an SD chip and open loop it
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline larrym

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
I think I made my pistons ''too efficient''. Logs inside....
« Reply #17 on: August 21 2016, 10:57:26 AM »
Earl I got a Gen2 translator and and extender G chip for 60s I could send your way to help you set fixed timing for testing if you like.
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21 2016, 11:07:58 AM »
nothing to do with the damn pistons.  Get a TT chip and set the timing at 18 degs in all gears.  Simplify the hell out of it.  Be sure you don't have an injector that is not working right.

Not sure what size of injectors you have but to make it even more simple go to an SD chip and open loop it

Brand new tank, new sock, supra pump, 60's that are fresh off Chucks flow bench.

the basics are covered and them some.  I just left the other board and I'm FUCKING AMAZED I can't find a mod to delete my thread that wend SIDEWAYS AS FUCK.

I think I'm supposed to upset all all the people 'interested' in my $450 pistons sets that cost me $485 plus shipping and wrist pins.....

it's almost Noon, I haven't been to sleep yet and freeing up a spot in the garage is looking better and better....
« Last Edit: August 22 2016, 10:09:17 AM by earlbrown »
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline achalmersman

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
I think I made my pistons ''too efficient''. Logs inside....
« Reply #19 on: August 21 2016, 11:23:24 AM »
I have a 5.6 TT chip burned for 60s Ill ship you for testing as long as you need earl

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21 2016, 12:12:41 PM »
Honestly I think it's time to bust the car up and make room for my jetboat under cover.

I've got over 10 years of making room for a dead GN since it was stolen. Betwee it's parts and the time involved, I don't have the car I used to drive everyday and gas will never be $1.59 for supreme.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21 2016, 12:43:28 PM »

Brand new tank, new sock, supra pump, 60's that are fresh off Chucks flow bench.

the basics are covered and them some.

The basics for a car running stock boost levels (or less); a performance oriented car not so much.  The base engine is junk by conventional standards, conventional pump gas is junk by 1980s standards, and to think you are going to pigheadedly run them together with an eye toward performance is going to leave you with a lot of junk.

Cut your losses and add better fuel and/or a better EMS; or move on and be happy.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21 2016, 01:10:45 PM »
Mike, I assUmed I would be given the benefit of the doubt as far as fueling and ignition and the sort.

Brand new tank, supra pump set to the correct depth, 60's freshly cleaned by Chuck, new hoses that don't leak, ported hoses, blah blah blah....

If you want a really go laugh, go to the other board and look how my tech post turned to to ripping me to shreds for selling pistons.

Just to throw out some numbers, I lose right at $100 a set when I sell a set of pistons.  Yes, you read that correctly, I care so much about the slugs, I eat a doubletap for shipping and I retail JE pins @16 each plus 7% tax and shipping.

Busting mu car up is looking better and better.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21 2016, 01:20:47 PM »
Not sure why you would be posting tech over on that board. Answering the Newby questions, sure, but not much knowledge over there like there was a decade or so back.

So, we are sure the pump is delivering pressure that rises with boost? Not sure on that supra pump. I'm about ready to drop my tank again and move to a dw300 as mine won't keep the O2 up when I mat the pedal. I probably need a gauge and longer hose to be sure.
I'm looking forward to seeing the logs when I get home from work.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21 2016, 01:31:56 PM »
Mike, I assUmed I would be given the benefit of the doubt as far as fueling and ignition and the sort.

Brand new tank, supra pump set to the correct depth, 60's freshly cleaned by Chuck, new hoses that don't leak, ported hoses, blah blah blah...

In a performance car of this vintage it just isn't enough.

I commend you for making the effort to bring a product to market for such an obscure car; but, you cannot expect anyone to appreciate/understand/acknowledge your effort.  You do you, and fuck the rest.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21 2016, 01:55:09 PM »
I didn't make the effort for that  per se. Don't give m too much credit.  :)

I made pistons that didn't exist because I needed them for my build.

Turns out I'm an asshole because I made a tech post without trying to sell pistons yet it's a dick move that pistons exist that belong to me...  (that I used to sell for $100 loss per set)

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21 2016, 02:47:37 PM »
I didn't make the effort for that  per se. Don't give m too much credit.  :)

I made pistons that didn't exist because I needed them for my build.

I understand both of those things.  I do lots of shit for my own reasons which go against conventional thought - for my own reasons/stubbornness/education.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21 2016, 04:36:41 PM »
Yall two must be hard headed or sumthin. Haha, this is just the site for ya. Lots of , I did it my way.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Be4u

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/400586
« Reply #28 on: August 21 2016, 11:24:56 PM »
No matter what you do Earl, we love 'ya!

(Need some help on the other board? I gotta LOTA shit to talk lol.)
Save the bumper fillers!
Move to Canadia!

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22 2016, 10:07:44 AM »
$130 for the package (w eraser) on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OD7O9G2/
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal