Author Topic: posi ?  (Read 5400 times)

Offline shmed

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
posi ?
« on: August 14 2015, 09:49:32 AM »
ok  when i jack up the car put it in neutral   an spin the one tire   the other barely moves  seems to wanna go the same way as the tire being rotated.
suppsoed to be a g80 car
is this just a case of worn out clutches?
thanks
guys

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
Re: posi ?
« Reply #1 on: August 14 2015, 10:39:17 AM »
What happens when you put it up against the foot brake and lay into it? Two even black strips?
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline shmed

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14 2015, 10:45:04 AM »
it will   get two for roughly a foot then just one \

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14 2015, 10:56:12 AM »
Pulled the rear cover to change the lube lately? Sediment?

Offline shmed

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14 2015, 11:29:11 AM »
yep new fluid an additive begining of the year

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14 2015, 11:39:53 AM »
yep new fluid an additive begining of the year

How much clutch material was left? There was another thread on here...and I think one of the gents mentioned something about a tighter spring?

Offline shmed

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14 2015, 12:32:37 PM »
um  i never looked,  i really don't know what i would be looking at anyhow?
we bought this  roller  an was told its a posi car an was pointed out the g80 code, so    took his word for it.
anyways  the boy doesn't have an extra 1000+  for a new unit an install etc etc,
so i m  hoping new clutches maybe that better spring i dunno
if i pull the cover off is there a way by looking at it or numbers on it so i know what it is?
thanks

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14 2015, 01:18:12 PM »
If there's clutches in there it's a posi.  An open diff will have nothing but spider gears in the carrier.

Try changing the diff oil with non synthetic and no additive.  That fixed a posi here last week.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14 2015, 05:39:04 PM »
   I think one of the gents mentioned something about a tighter spring?
That was me and it was near the top. The stock spring is 240 lbs and there's an optional 300 lb spring at G body for $24.95 plus shipping. As far as how to replace the clutches without removing the center...

1.  Remove the cross shaft, s-spring, pinion gears, and thrust washers from the case and set aside.  These parts will be used again.

2.  Remove axle side gears, factory clutch discs and shims.  Remove the clutch discs and shims, from the side gears.  Save the factory shims and set the factory clutch discs and to the side.  The factory discs will not be used in the installation of the 8.5 Posi Clutch Kit.

3.  Remove the 14 clutch discs provided with the kit and clean thoroughly with Brake Cleaner. Then coat the clutch discs with a thin and even amount of 90 weight Petroleum Based Conventional gear oil.

4.  With both axle side gears face up (splined side up), start with an eared clutch disc and alternate with a splined clutch disc until each side gear has a total of 7 discs installed (4 tabbed and 3 splined).  Properly installed, you will start and end with a tabbed disc.

5.  Take the factory shims (there should be two; one for each side gear) that were removed and set aside in step 2 and install one on top of each side gear clutch pack. The shims are always stacked on the last tabbed clutch. The shims are always situated between the last clutch and the  case.

6.  Carefully install each side gear with its compliment of clutch discs and shim(s) in the case, ensuring the ears are properly lined up in the machined slots in the case.

7.  Install both pinion gears and thrust washers. Oil the thrust washers. Be sure that the pinion gears are aligned correctly. This will ensure that the cross shaft is seated properly.
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14 2015, 05:42:52 PM »
Charlie, I have an Auburn Pro Series in mine. Would they use a heavier spring?

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15 2015, 12:14:21 AM »
Charlie, I have an Auburn Pro Series in mine. Would they use a heavier spring?
I don't know but it's possible that there's an option for stronger springs. Auburn posi can't be rebuilt exactly after all.
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline shmed

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29 2015, 12:26:21 PM »
well    brought it in to check the clutches an well  they got a laugh at my expense,   turned out somebody swapped out the g80 for the pos i bought,   lesson of the day don't take anyones word

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29 2015, 01:47:22 PM »
well    brought it in to check the clutches an well  they got a laugh at my expense,   turned out somebody swapped out the g80 for the pos i bought,   lesson of the day don't take anyones word

Next time you want to check, leave the car in park. When you spin one wheel, the other will spin the the opposite direction if it's an open rear.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal