Author Topic: New Earl Brown Product  (Read 8002 times)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
New Earl Brown Product
« on: June 20 2015, 07:20:04 PM »
that he has yet to introduce to the market

An aluminum shim that exactly fits the valve cover where the vc gasket should fit.  Operative word, fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the engine head side of this shim would be affixed an 0-ring for sealing purposes.

At the four mounting holes, in the shim, would be inserts which allows one to cinch the valve cover down til the inserts bottom out thus allowing equal tension all the way around.

the smooth side of this "shim/gasket" would be glued to the valve cover gasket seating surface so that it is permanently installed to the cover and eliminate leaks and gasket shifting while trying to wrangle the cover into place
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: New Earl Brown Product
« Reply #1 on: June 20 2015, 08:24:48 PM »
why not a spacer with oring grooves top and bottom?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
New Earl Brown Product
« Reply #2 on: June 20 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
Might be too thick. It's hard to get the cover off or on due to limited clearance as it is

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Steve Wood

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20 2015, 08:42:38 PM »
And I was expecting some sort of sex toy for the ladies. :rofl:
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20 2015, 08:50:20 PM »

x2!!!!!!!!!
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
New Earl Brown Product
« Reply #5 on: June 20 2015, 09:12:28 PM »
Maybe a preformed oring that could be placed in position on the head followed by the cover would work

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Steve Wood

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20 2015, 09:44:45 PM »
Maybe a preformed oring that could be placed in position on the head followed by the cover would work
After what I posted, you do realize how that sounds, right? :rofl:
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21 2015, 07:06:03 PM »
Sounds like every gasket in an LSX.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23 2015, 04:26:14 AM »
that he has yet to introduce to the market

An aluminum shim that exactly fits the valve cover where the vc gasket should fit.  Operative word, fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the engine head side of this shim would be affixed an 0-ring for sealing purposes.

At the four mounting holes, in the shim, would be inserts which allows one to cinch the valve cover down til the inserts bottom out thus allowing equal tension all the way around.

the smooth side of this "shim/gasket" would be glued to the valve cover gasket seating surface so that it is permanently installed to the cover and eliminate leaks and gasket shifting while trying to wrangle the cover into place

An O-ring won't seal against the rough cast finish on the head.   I have been working with a foundry to make some valve covers (along with a finned oil pan, trans pan and better plenum) that will clear roller rockers and maybe have a removable top.  Compared to what it's going to cost per unit compared to timing covers with my mods in the print, those parts would be a bargain.

You didn't hear the foundry owners reaction after mentioning to me he had a 3D laser scanner that can make one off prototypes much easier....   

Let's just say I was thinking the toy would be in titanium. and the same mold can make Earl shaped candles too.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23 2015, 09:26:22 AM »
removable top would be a very large advantage as well...
Steve Wood

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23 2015, 01:49:39 PM »
     Let's just say I was thinking the toy would be in titanium. and the same mold can make Earl shaped candles too.
So they'd be short, dumpy, and horny? :rofl: They wouldn't sell that well Earl. :tongue

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23 2015, 06:26:00 PM »
So they'd be short, dumpy, and horny? :rofl: They wouldn't sell that well Earl. :tongue

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:    :w00t:
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline corsair231

• PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24 2015, 10:52:47 AM »
Hey guys just starting to check in here from the other sites and the first thread I read here has two trains of thought. Unfortunately one of them has derailed, but thankfully the other one sounds like it is still on track.

On that train of thought though a two piece valve cover would be great, especially if the bottom part could have a leak proof seal that you could set it and forget it while the top comes off with out having to ditch the heat shield on the passenger side.  :rock:

As far as the other part.... Nobody said it had to be life sized and couldn't be scaled up.  :player:

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24 2015, 11:13:54 PM »
As far as the other part.... Nobody said it had to be life sized and couldn't be scaled up.  :player:
So he'd go from millimeters to centimeters? :rofl: Yes Earl, I'm picking on you. :tongue

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25 2015, 11:00:26 AM »
I've never been asked for a refund  :D

On the magic seal valve covers, keep in mind, you're sealing against a rough cast convex head.    Then again I can't figure out how to make it better.  I used the same Fel-Pro cork gaskets from '98 all the way up until now.  The only thing that leaked was my PS breather.  Kinda hard to top that.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal