Author Topic: jason's education thread  (Read 105811 times)

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
Re: jason's education thread
« Reply #105 on: October 16 2014, 05:47:09 PM »
A few things I've picked up on over the years.

MPH is indicative of HP.
When running the 1/4 shoot for a 25 mph pickup in the 2nd half.
Convertor slip percentage, flash stall, and RPM drop at the shift points should be required reading.
Leave Erics high gear timing on his default setting.
The guys running silly fast times spraying alky are using 18-20 timing.
If you're not tuning for low gear...then you're leaving a shitload on the table.
Putting your car on a diet is free HP.
If you can afford a couple hundred bucks of bling for your car...then you can afford Powerlogger.
Instructions are sent along with a product...for a reason.
You'll know you've done a decent launch when the cigarette lighter flys over your shoulder.
One word. Slicks.

Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Pyro6

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 16 2014, 06:25:51 PM »

You'll know you've done a decent launch when the cigarette lighter flys over your shoulder...... .

...........or your glove box empties it's contents on the passenger floor  :cheers:

Offline Pyro6

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 16 2014, 06:28:08 PM »
Something else I would like to pick y'all's brains about.  I'm driving it down the track in 3rd and letting the tranny do the shifting. I've notice on the logs that I'll get up to 5600-5700 rpm when the tranny shifts 1-2. But when the tranny makes the 2-3 shift, it's not going up to about 5200. With the 1-2 shift it drops down to around 4700-4800 but with the 2-3 shift, it drops down to 4500-4600.  With the 1 to 1 gear in 3rd, is this too low of a drop of rpm? Am I not in the optimum rpm for making power?  Should I manual shift the car at a higher rpm?  Maybe work the governor to lighten it a bit and continue to let the tranny shift itself?

Just a thought, if you want to manual shift, another option: reverse manual valve body.

And, reaction time wins races.

Offline larrym

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 16 2014, 09:04:19 PM »
what does it take to fit 10"x 26" slicks on ?
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 16 2014, 09:46:00 PM »
I have 275/40/17 and they are just over 10 and just under 26 and they fit. Just misses the frame and never touches the wheel well lip. And they are not rolled. Hope that helps
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 16 2014, 10:49:17 PM »
I am a visual learner and really have a tough time reading something without falling asleep.  That being said, now that I've reached middle age, I seem to be reading more and not sleeping as much.

Being a na guy my whole life, it took me a bit to visualize the pressurized air working against the valve spring.  Anyway, got the 981's today and they have been installed. Even did some pretty work by blasting the valve covers and shooting some low gloss black paint on them. Then sanded the ridges for that cool guy look. 

Got her back together and fired up. Went and picked up my daughter from the bonfire so the ecm could learn. I did notice that the engine stops a lot quicker after turning the key off. Makes me think that those new springs are putting a little more pressure on the lifters not to mention holding the valves closed a bit better. 
It'll be next weekend before I can get back to little River to see how she does with the new springs.
You guys are really throwing out some good info about these Buicks and I am much obliged to all of you
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline larrym

• View Profile
jason's education thread
« Reply #111 on: October 16 2014, 11:17:18 PM »
Nice!
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
Best ET 11.36

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 16 2014, 11:24:07 PM »
28x10.5's on the stock GN rims...clears the frame and lip.

Offline larrym

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 17 2014, 02:48:38 PM »
I love that pic, so if I find a couple rims 7" with a 3 3/4 BS or 8" with a 4"BS I should be golden.
Best ET 11.36

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 17 2014, 04:32:16 PM »
I love that pic, so if I find a couple rims 7" with a 3 3/4 BS or 8" with a 4"BS I should be golden.

I run aluminum rear drums...so you may need to play with shims.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 17 2014, 05:52:32 PM »
I'm running aluminum drums as well. I measured the cast and aluminum drums and the aluminum drums are 1/8th inch wider at the hub than its cast counter part.

Looked a lot today online at different tires.  Gotta fill the wallet back up.  I have the original T rims and I have a pair of GTA look-a-likes that are 15x8's.  They have a set of 28x10.5 slicks on them with lots of tread left but I'm afraid to run them on the car.  Previous owner ran them on a car that put a pretty good gash on both of the insides right where the side wall meets the tread I bought them mainly for the rims and the tubes and gave 50 bucks for the pair.  Still looking for a used set of 28x9's with no luck....
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 17 2014, 06:29:08 PM »
Here's a shot from last week. Taken by a local photographer
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline larrym

• View Profile
jason's education thread
« Reply #117 on: October 17 2014, 06:49:19 PM »
Great looking car looks like it's leaving hard
Best ET 11.36

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 17 2014, 08:03:57 PM »

MPH is indicative of HP.
When running the 1/4 shoot for a 25 mph pickup in the 2nd half.
Convertor slip percentage, flash stall, and RPM drop at the shift points should be required reading.
Leave Erics high gear timing on his default setting.
The guys running silly fast times spraying alky are using 18-20 timing.
If you're not tuning for low gear...then you're leaving a shitload on the table.
Putting your car on a diet is free HP.
If you can afford a couple hundred bucks of bling for your car...then you can afford Powerlogger.
Instructions are sent along with a product...for a reason.
You'll know you've done a decent launch when the cigarette lighter flys over your shoulder.
One word. Slicks.

I wish I could afford a couple hunskies for bling so I could skip that and go powerlogger. I fully understand its benefit, which is Why I'm trying to get the direct scan up and working. And I think I need a new boost gauge. It only registers to about 7lbs boost and 7 in of vac and km sire I'm putting more than that in.

I bought the lightest car I could find. It weighs less than 3600 with me in as I drive it. Less when I empty the trunk.

Slicks are the way but some of the sticky drag radials will 60' just as quickly but don't last as long. Love me some mickey T 28x9.

Definitely read the instructions. Lots of gofast info in there or they wouldn't bother including them.

I know I need an Alky kit and I've dug out my otc2000. I hope to score a scan master one of these days.
Tuning this chip is gonna be fun.

I am liking this thread. I'm picking up a lot of info.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 17 2014, 09:22:58 PM »
Cool pic!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal