Author Topic: smoke in 3rd....alot  (Read 25514 times)

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: smoke in 3rd....alot
« Reply #90 on: October 01 2014, 12:56:37 PM »
Okay, I'll get some pic's of the valves and ports tonight. I dont know what the black stuff is on gasket, I assumed oil residue. Never had a motor this far apart before so I didnt realize that was not normal. I'll also get a pic of the other side of the gasket.

The big question, do I pursue this mystery black stuff further to find/fix cause or do I just install new gasket and hope for the best.

Inside the intake plenum and from what I remember inside the ports is pretty black but I assumed that was from when it had the bad turbo on it and was feeding it oil. Its been driven about 200 miles with new turbo.

It did smoke all the time with the old leaking turbo. Since the new one was installed it only smoked when testing WOT and then only after about 3 passes, the first 2 I couldnt see any smoke behind me. It could set in the garage running and there was no smoke after turbo was replaced....I looked often.
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #91 on: October 01 2014, 01:58:15 PM »
Not much you can pursue for the moment.  I would put it back together, I think, after cleaning it up.Don't use the end seals.  Use a bead of silicone instead making sure the four corners where the valley rails connect with the heads have a good dab of silicone in the joint to prevent oil from seeping out there.  Run the silicon across the rails making sure there is enough for the intake to seal to it...

A turbo can leak oil on the compressor side and on the exhaust side.  The compressor side is easy to check.  Pull the hose of the throttlebody and see if there is oil laying in the inlet to the throttlebody.  On the exhaust side, you have to pull the exhaust housing off and check for oil coming out of the turbo around the turbine into the housing.

Any air leakage you had when you put air into the plenum had to come from the vacuum block, which you sealed off, around the throttleshaft ends in the throttlebody, which is also normally leaks a little, especially with age as the shaft seals wear, ...or around the iac gasket, throttlebody to plenum gasket, base of the plenum where it is bolted to the intake, intake gasket, or burned intake heads into the combustion chamber.

Blow by that will blow oil out or try to push the dip stick out has to come from either a bad seal of the intake to the heads causing boost to go thru the valley to the oil pan, or, past the compression rings into the oil pan.  I have seen cars with enuf leakage to push the dip stick out, but they did not have any compression so I am having a hard time believing the engine needs to be rebuilt.  I have been wrong many times in my life.....so

Given the car will not make boost, it has to be a major leak, I think.

The smoke out the tail pipe is really confusing to me-particularly being that it does not show up on the first pass or two...I have no clue if the turbo is not leaking oil
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 01 2014, 02:17:03 PM »
The turbo is good on both sides. I think the smoke I'm seeing behind me is from it burning off the outside of the header on the drivers side maybe?? and thats why its not until I made a few runs and it pushed enough out to really get on the header and smoke?? It made a big mess in that area but obviously by the time I get off the boost and slow to a stop and get out to open the hood its mostly burned away so under hood smoke wasnt much, it was smokey but not terrible.

Is the "Right Stuff" the best RTV to use?
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 01 2014, 02:32:28 PM »
some like it...I just use plain black rtv
Steve Wood

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 01 2014, 10:47:13 PM »
I still havent found my disc. Can you tell me the sequence and torque spec for the rocker arm shaft?

Thanks!!!!

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 01 2014, 11:16:42 PM »
25 ft lbs

I start in the middle and work back and forth gradually tightening them until they are seated.  Don't want to risk breaking the shaft by pulling one point down too much at a time
Steve Wood

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 01 2014, 11:33:55 PM »
Thanks!!!

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 03 2014, 11:30:08 PM »
Well after a few nights I got her back together. Took way more off than was probably required but cleaned some things up while I was at it. Will fire it up tomorrow, let it come up to temp and check for leaks. Supposed to be cold and raining so probably wont be able to do any "boost" testing.  I sure hope this does the trick. I eliminated the egr, replaced a bad check valve, zip tied every connection so im positive I will have no vacuum/boost leaks there. I enjoy working on it but a guy needs a victory every once in a while and its been kicking my ass lately!

Thanks for the help. Ill post some good results soon !!!!

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 04 2014, 09:00:55 AM »
Hope it works!
Steve Wood

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 04 2014, 11:47:41 AM »
maybe a premature victory but it fired up and ran perfectly, went on a 3 mile trip and everything looked good all SM readings were good. Didn't try any boost as we got and inch of snow last night and the roads are covered in wet leaves, maybe Sunday for the boost test.

Also, probably nothing but ever since I got the car the BLM reading has always been a touch low, 118, but reading Steve's site not a huge concern as it was within 10%. So I didn't worry about it. Now its right where its supposed to be at 128? Probably nothing to do with anything but thought I'd mention it.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 04 2014, 11:53:15 AM »
Have you checked your line off fuel pressure after the repairs?
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 04 2014, 12:26:31 PM »
No. Good call! I will this afternoon. 43 line off right?

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 04 2014, 12:43:04 PM »
No. Good call! I will this afternoon. 43 line off right?

Correct.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 06 2014, 05:07:54 PM »
Had a chance to make a few quick runs.......... .SUCCESS!!!!! Zero smoke, snaps to 24lbs and stays right there thru 3rd. SM recorded 0.0 knock and 820 at 89mph so now can do some tuning and if weather holds track day on 10-18.

Thanks for the help  :cheers:

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 06 2014, 05:56:11 PM »
Don't know about you, but that makes me happy cause I was just about out of idea :D
Steve Wood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal