Author Topic: turbo choice....Help please  (Read 13322 times)

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: turbo choice....Help please
« Reply #30 on: June 30 2014, 11:24:35 AM »
Juilo got back to me right away this morning with some things to check. I had a couple questions and again got right back to me. GREAT customer service!!!
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • PSI: 0
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30 2014, 03:45:19 PM »
Thats awesome!!!

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30 2014, 03:49:09 PM »
Lets just hope what he told me will fix it, will see tonight. Also turbopowered68, in the little driving I have done, very laggy  :icon_confused:
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: turbo choice
« Reply #33 on: June 30 2014, 04:46:02 PM »

yada yada...

I am guessing that 2800-3000 rpm will work better with the turbo you ordered.

If your stall rpm is lower the car will be slow off the line until the boost comes up but it will probably be fine from a roll as the rpm will be high enuf to allow the turbo to spool.

like I said.....nothi ng to do with the turbo.  It's your combo.

When you get the alky fixed, set it to come on about 12 psi.  Take fuel out of first gear until your O2s read about 730-740 unless you see timing retard at that level.  You might also try adding another degree or two of timing in low.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30 2014, 08:25:41 PM »
I didnt know I could adjust when the alky came on. I was thinking after I got the alky system sorted out I would try adjusting the fuel and timing in first to see if I could liven it up a bit. Hard to really tell on driveability right now with it screwed up.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30 2014, 09:40:55 PM »
Just to add to what Steve said. Erics 5.7 alky chip has aggressive mode...which brings the low gear timing in instantly. All you have to do is bring the low gear timing off the 128 default...to 129. The car should hit harder in low gear. In regards to alky...what I use to do was keep bringing the alky turn on point later and later...till I saw a touch of KR...and then bring it back one notch till it went away.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30 2014, 10:46:36 PM »
Looks like a bad map sensor is causing my alky troubles. Can I get a map sensor at an auto parts store? After I replace the map how do I adjust when the alky starts spraying?

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01 2014, 07:56:17 AM »
Julios default settings in the PAC controller are fairly close...if you have the combination correct. I wouldn't mess with the settings until you've verified what your stall speed is. Steve left you some instructions on how to do that. If your convertor is too "tight" for your turbo...then it doesn't matter how much tuning you do...it's gonna be a slug.

Offline TURBOPOWERED68

• David
  • Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01 2014, 09:03:56 AM »
Lets just hope what he told me will fix it, will see tonight. Also turbopowered68, in the little driving I have done, very laggy  :icon_confused:
The least expensive change you can make is a Garrett OE exhaust housing. And if you are still unhappy the next change would be a converter. Thats the order that i went with and i don't regret it.

I went with a L/U with an advertised stall of 2800 that feels more like a 2400. I would follow whatever these guys suggest for a converter choice.

Most talk about having thick skin but thats just BS.
This damn attitude of "you didn't listen to us/me now you should burn in hell for it" really sucks.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01 2014, 09:58:58 AM »
Looks like a bad map sensor is causing my alky troubles. Can I get a map sensor at an auto parts store? After I replace the map how do I adjust when the alky starts spraying?

You need a three bar map sensor and I would be sure the one I bought was made by Delco.  If you cannot get one locally, I am sure Mike, or another vendor, will have one.

The idea of putting the alky turn on around 12 is to keep it from cooling down the exhaust stream until the turbo is well into its spool...on a turbo that does not want to spool easily from a standstill, turning on the alky closer to zero boost will kill the spool up for awhile.

I don't have one of Julio's kits so I am hesitant to tell you how to adjust it.  It may be that you cannot adjust the actual turn on point but instead you adjust how much it is spraying when it does turn on.  He has an "Initial" setting in the controller and it may adjust how much it is flowing initially rather than the turn on point...hopefu lly one of the guys that is experienced with the kit can clarify.

First, get it working and follow Brad's instructions on your new chip with regard to the "aggressive" setting.  With your tires, you cannot take much boost anyway at low speed.

The 5931 is close to the old TE60 best I can tell so it needs more turbo and I doubt any of us would have suggested it with your converter but it may work out anyway with some tweaking...I suspect once you drive the car and get it up to about 3000 rpm in second gear, it will spool fast when you step on it....but I guess we shall see as they say
Steve Wood

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01 2014, 10:06:48 AM »
Brad, what is this "aggressive mode"?  I don't see any mention of it in the 5.7 instructions or on the forum :)
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01 2014, 04:34:29 PM »
Brad, what is this "aggressive mode"?  I don't see any mention of it in the 5.7 instructions or on the forum :)

He explains it in addendum...sli de down to the bottom.

http://www.turbotweak.com/turbotweakinstructions57.pdf

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01 2014, 04:57:13 PM »
To simplify things...turbo s love heat to spool...and that's why Steve is telling you to pull low gear fuel. Leaner air/fuel is hotter...makin g it spool quicker...and more low gear timing will give 'er more punch off the line. What I recommend...is going to the track where it's safe...and making a balls out run with everything on default settings. I'm betting PL is gonna show your low gear fueling around 850 for 02's...pig rich.

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01 2014, 05:27:30 PM »
all I have is the SM for tuning. For as much track time as my car see's I cant justify spending the money for PL. Once i get the alky fixed I can start tuning and see what happens. I might be able to get it working "good enough" as i'm not trying to shave every tenth off I can.

I do appreciate all the help you guys have given me  :cheers: 

Offline TURBOPOWERED68

• David
  • Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01 2014, 06:09:44 PM »
all I have is the SM for tuning. For as much track time as my car see's I cant justify spending the money for PL. Once i get the alky fixed I can start tuning and see what happens. I might be able to get it working "good enough" as i'm not trying to shave every tenth off I can.

I do appreciate all the help you guys have given me  :cheers: 
The PL is worth every dime.
Make a pass look back frame by frame sensor by sensor and then make adjustments.
The only thing i use the scanmaster for is idle settings and KR on the fly.
  and malfunction codes
Most talk about having thick skin but thats just BS.
This damn attitude of "you didn't listen to us/me now you should burn in hell for it" really sucks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal