Author Topic: turbo choice....Help please  (Read 13320 times)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: turbo choice
« Reply #15 on: June 18 2014, 05:51:41 PM »
Start the car, foot firmly on the brake, put the car in Drive and start mashing down on the gas while firmly braking...look at the rpm on your scanmaster-when the rear wheels start trying to turn even though you have your foot on the brake, that rpm point will be close to your practical stall speed.  If your rear brakes are not adjusted properly, or, are worn out, this will obviously lower the rpm point where the rear tires start turning....

the stock converter would start to move the tires around 2000-2100 rpm.  This will work fairly well with a 44 or 49 if it is tuned well but may be a tad slow when it comes to the build up of boost.

Ideally, my experience is that a stall around 2600 is about perfect for a 44 or 49.  Some people run even more but they usually smoke the tires a lot more than is conducive to acceleration.

I am guessing that 2800-3000 rpm will work better with the turbo you ordered.

If your stall rpm is lower the car will be slow off the line until the boost comes up but it will probably be fine from a roll as the rpm will be high enuf to allow the turbo to spool.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18 2014, 08:50:43 PM »
I will have to check it out when I get it back together. I know its not close to 2000 but not as high as 3000. Probably on the lower side, 25 ish, but that may help my traction problem with these tires? I dont have super high expectations, would just like to get in the mid 12's.
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18 2014, 08:59:47 PM »
May Have traction problems as the speed comes up in low. May be able to take some power out with the chip in low.  Should be much faster than mid 12s. Learning to drive it will help

Steve

Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21 2014, 09:59:46 PM »
Journal bearing...or double ball bearing?
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22 2014, 10:00:45 AM »
No idea. Its the one full throttle sells, the  5931
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22 2014, 01:08:47 PM »
journal
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22 2014, 08:16:04 PM »
I'd want about 2600...but the off the shelf convertors are usually bout 2800. It'll spool like a mad whore. Drag radials are gonna be a must.

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24 2014, 07:15:23 PM »
UPS just delivered the goods!!!! Gotta pick up some new nuts and bolts and then cant wait to here her whistle!!!

Offline TURBOPOWERED68

• David
  • Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24 2014, 11:13:38 PM »
i had a TE-6031 W/a Precision exhaust housing and hated it, the lag was for ever and a day.
Once i went with the Garret turbine housing it got a lot better but still very laggy
Most talk about having thick skin but thats just BS.
This damn attitude of "you didn't listen to us/me now you should burn in hell for it" really sucks.

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25 2014, 10:55:07 AM »
Dont know much about turbos but I guess I'll soon find out. Its what I got so I'll have to live with it if its laggy

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28 2014, 07:44:50 PM »
Got the turbo on...worse part was hooking up the frickin oil feed line, had a hell of a time getting that threaded in. Also had to clock it to line up the outlet with the intercooler. Now gotta modify the turbo cover to get it back on. Then road test!!

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28 2014, 08:38:49 PM »
Oil line leaks, and now alky system is all f.. up. The light that tells you its primed and then turns green, flickers unles you on the gas, then it stops. When first started it idles like shit....I think the alky is spraying just a bit. Shut it off at the store and when I came out the only way I got it started was to unplug the alky pump and held it to the floor.....bare ly started before the battery was done. What the hell is up, I didnt touch any of the alky system???? :013

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
Re: turbo choice....Help please
« Reply #27 on: June 28 2014, 10:02:15 PM »
Turning the alky knob to off...should shut it off. Takes a little bit of driving for the ECM and chip to jive with one another. Follow Erics instructions to the letter.

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29 2014, 08:34:08 AM »
Turned the knob to shut off alky system. Fixed oil line leak. Test drove car and runs fine. Turn alky back on. Light flickers red and it does spray just a little in the motor. Cant understand what happened, didnt touch anything on the system except the up pipe the hose is in???? Checked all connections and they all seem fine. Any help would be appreciated. I have an e-mail in to Juilo but doubt ill hear anything til next week.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30 2014, 10:50:27 AM »
You are probably stuck with Julio unless Paul knows the fix
Steve Wood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal