Author Topic: The battle against engine heat  (Read 5548 times)

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
The battle against engine heat
« on: August 31 2013, 09:56:11 AM »
Okay so after having my car in pieces now and working on a Fbody rad as well as 160 thermostat. I've begun to ponder the other ways to beat the heat, Yes once I get my 3inch downpipe I'm going to heat wrap the sucker or get it painted with heat paint. But I was thinking about functional GNX fender vents. How well do they really cool the engine? Do they release a lot of trapped air?
I just want to know from people that use them because obviously cutting a fender is a touchy subject.
Stratman: Is it even running?

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: The battle against engine heat
« Reply #1 on: August 31 2013, 11:19:29 AM »
Much easier way is just pull off the 4ft of weather stripping at base of windshield under the hood. Air will flow out when at the track then put it back on for car show stuff if your not happy with the look when it's off.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31 2013, 04:59:21 PM »
Okay so after having my car in pieces now and working on a Fbody rad as well as 160 thermostat. I've begun to ponder the other ways to beat the heat, Yes once I get my 3inch downpipe I'm going to heat wrap the sucker or get it painted with heat paint. But I was thinking about functional GNX fender vents. How well do they really cool the engine? Do they release a lot of trapped air?
I just want to know from people that use them because obviously cutting a fender is a touchy subject.

The F Body rad with twin fans will pull enuf CFM's to drag a small child through...and even with the air con crap in front of the rad you won't see much more than 175 degrees on the hottest days. Dave is correct...pull the rubber off and hand it to a Mustang owner to hang himself after you beat his ass. The heat wrap will look like shit in no time and don't even think about cutting holes in your T Type...or I'll pull enuf 3rd gear fuel outta your chip to turn your engine into a molten ball of steel.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31 2013, 05:10:04 PM »

The F Body rad with twin fans will pull enuf CFM's to drag a small child through...and even with the air con crap in front of the rad you won't see much more than 175 degrees on the hottest days. Dave is correct...pull the rubber off and hand it to a Mustang owner to hang himself after you beat his ass. The heat wrap will look like shit in no time and don't even think about cutting holes in your T Type...or I'll pull enuf 3rd gear fuel outta your chip to turn your engine into a molten ball of steel.

Haha That wouldn't work my knock gauge is still in the car. :rofl:  But also I like the idea of losing that weather stripping good idea guys.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 31 2013, 05:17:14 PM »
That is a high pressure area and air will be pushed in when the car is moving
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31 2013, 05:26:06 PM »

Just like the cute little air doors do on my 80 Z28 to jam it down the air breather. Always pulled the rubber on all my cars in the hope of getting as much cool air under the hood as possible.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31 2013, 06:09:25 PM »
« Last Edit: August 31 2013, 06:14:23 PM by Just a Six? »
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01 2013, 10:56:24 AM »

So that's a good thing correct ?

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01 2013, 11:23:03 AM »
Correct. As well in the early days some would remove the High Beam Head light so air could get in easier. That led to KB selling Ram Air kits (didn't work except at high speed) then a drivers side air damn with a scoop & hose to the air filter area. Years ago I made my own from some heating duct & a floor vent for heat/Ac hidden behind the grill, but in the end it's just cool guy stuff for 98% of us weekend warriors. I still have my old copper tubing that cycled ice water thru it & wrapped around the Up Pipe which was a home made version of the KB Cold Water Box or whatever he called it??
The old days bring back lots of good memories & some silly gimmicks but it was Fun!!  :cheers:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #9 on: September 01 2013, 11:43:22 AM »

So that's a good thing correct ?

debatable...

It's really a waste of time at this point...when you get to the Nines, it might make a difference :)  If you ever buy an aftermarket set of headers, it would be nice to have them coated, I guess.  Make it feel cooler under the hood anyway.

Wraps are good for soaking up oil drips.  And, then, catching on fire if you are the unlucky type :D
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01 2013, 04:43:34 PM »
debatable...

It's really a waste of time at this point...when you get to the Nines, it might make a difference :)  If you ever buy an aftermarket set of headers, it would be nice to have them coated, I guess.  Make it feel cooler under the hood anyway.

Wraps are good for soaking up oil drips.  And, then, catching on fire if you are the unlucky type :D

Wraps also keep moisture in and can help rust your pipes too.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02 2013, 06:56:04 AM »
If you can afford it, do ceramic coating on the downpipe.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02 2013, 10:35:06 AM »
 Fireball Coatings north of Toronto has some good options for inside-outside headers downpipes etc. My headers are done in-out with a chrome type look & they have worn well thru the years. I had the Satin Black on another set that was very nice.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline tb3

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02 2013, 01:32:21 PM »
I just keep a eye out for any engine oil leaks and wrap the downpipe with header wrap for about 6"s where it passes by the control arm bushing.   vht or ceramic coat the rest.   
I had a hot air up pipe and down pipe header wrapped for years and didnt see a bit of moisture issues inside or outside the pipe when I unwrapped it.  but I should point out my cars are stored and ran in the most ideal of environment.

The only time I install my firewall hood seal is when the car gets wet
When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal