Author Topic: I was wrong but now we are getting somewhere!  (Read 35470 times)

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
Re: I was wrong but now we are getting somewhere!
« Reply #45 on: August 18 2013, 01:59:30 PM »
Just buy a good pump and a PnP hotwire kit from Jack at Racetronix, cheap insurance and peace of mind will follow.
Yes exactly, right now there is a hotwire kit but I'd rather have peace of mind knowing its done properly and is brand new. That's how I feel about the motor as well but haha that's quite a bit of cash just for peace of mind when it is most likely fine how it is :icon_lol:
Stratman: Is it even running?

Offline 278CIKILLER

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 18 2013, 02:10:26 PM »
Well if you think its fine the way it is then don't go and bi anything and just leave it alone.Steve trying to sort out your car and now you say its fine, what is it then?

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 18 2013, 03:39:12 PM »
Well if you think its fine the way it is then don't go and bi anything and just leave it alone.Steve trying to sort out your car and now you say its fine, what is it then?

No I didn't mean that but I don't know what else needs replacing besides the injectors I've looked over a lot of things but I'm still a major rookie so its hard for me to just replace things myself.

Offline 278CIKILLER

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18 2013, 03:43:11 PM »
you don't have to replace anything, just the injectors and re flash the chip

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #49 on: August 18 2013, 03:50:37 PM »
Spending money on stuff on these cars that you don't need gets old fast.  If you will let  guys like Dan and Brad help you, you will learn a lot fast and you won't spend nearly as much money.

I know someone about your age that has had a GN for about 4 years and has spent a ton of money on parts trying to fix a problem.  Yet, he will not listen to anyone that has tried to help him because he always "knows" he does not need to do what they are telling him to do because he already bought something for that and he knows it is working.  Of course, it is obvious that it is not, but........... ............

Some people take advantage of other's experience and knowledge and others spend more time arguing that they know when they have not learned anything.

You have to decide if you want to be a car guy and learn from the guys that have already been there....or do you want to be that guy that comes on the boards and throws fits because his car does not run like he thinks it should...seems like common sense, but maybe common sense is not what it used to be. :D
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 18 2013, 05:03:13 PM »
you don't have to replace anything, just the injectors and re flash the chip

That's what I was planning on doing good sir and I understand what you mean Steve and I've taken advice from you guys and used it in multiple times.. to be honest i'm proud to how the car is now from when I first got it. Its running very nice and I thank you guys for that. I've just taken my time and worked at it. Yes I've ranted before but hey I need to let my smoke stacks vent somewhere :icon_eyes:

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18 2013, 09:09:16 PM »
The order is in for the 60 pounders and a matching chip.  :powersix: :rock:

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 19 2013, 10:02:11 AM »
its pretty sad, because I never knew about filling up the oil filter before start up. :O

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 19 2013, 10:23:42 AM »
LOL....I guess it's not too late to learn!  Fill the filter as full as you can get it...virtually none will run out when you turn it sideways and spin it on
Steve Wood

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 19 2013, 11:42:03 AM »
Meh.. I always filled the filter 1/2 way and spun the motor over a bit with the ECM power wire disconnected.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 19 2013, 02:28:04 PM »
Might explain that little lifter tick eh?  I'll try that and see what happens. I enjoy learning.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 19 2013, 03:49:38 PM »
it would explain it when you start it after an oil change, but not later on.  Using a filter with no, or a poorly working, anti drain back valve will rattle the lifters most starts after the car has sat for a bit.  If you pour oil in until it does not want to take anymore, it will have pressure virtually instantly.  It's always a good practice to watch the oil pressure needle when you start the car to make sure it shows pressure because if it did not, it meant the pump lost its prime and you are going to be hurting the engine in a few seconds..parti cularly if you blip the throttle
Steve Wood

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20 2013, 10:40:50 AM »
This is good to know.  I remember reading somewhere that sometimes it's best that some people not have a oil pressure gauge because they would worry often when reading it. I dont remember where I read this. The lifter tick goes away after warming up for sure(if thats what it is).

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20 2013, 12:05:19 PM »
This is why I installed a pre-lube oil system, since I don't start my car every week or sometimes months. I don't trust the anti drain back valve inside the oil filter. I believe I posted this system before, and then again I'm not sure or remember.
Look into this site:  http://www.engineprelube.com/instalubekit.html
Also look into the installation picture section and you will see my TR set up. I did changed the accumulator tank from the intercooler bracket and bolted it to the fan frame.
I installed a timer to capture the highest oil pressure in the accumulator tank since these engine oil pressure is around 25psi when hot. At cold start up the oil pressure is around 55-65psi, then down to 25-27psi when engine is hot.
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20 2013, 03:25:03 PM »
I wonder if the GM mechanics doing warranty work back in 86-87-88 pre filled the filter or just spun them on & started the car up?  :chin:

Applies to all the quick lube places as well? Somehow I doubt they did!
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal