Author Topic: Nothing Wrong with our Education System  (Read 14107 times)

Offline ULYCYC

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing Wrong with our Education System
« Reply #30 on: January 12 2011, 08:35:56 AM »
Soon High School classes will be Facebook delivered and print out your own diploma.
ED BAKER
87-T, Maplight equipped rear view mirror..
01 Park Ave Ultra S\'charged
BPG#1458

Offline TSM Girl

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
Pretty much what we do is to stay on top of the teachers and our kids to see what they are doing in class. Last year, our oldest daughter who was in 4th grade had a "First year" (new) teacher and when she would bring home corrected work from the teacher, Bryan and I would sit there to double check the teacher, which sometimes she would mark things wrong when they were correct. Bryan would write a note on the paper and send it back to the teacher explaining it was correct and she should "double check". That teacher is no longer a teacher, she is now a librarian.
Donna

"Stupid people should NOT breed!"

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Nothing Wrong with our Education System
« Reply #32 on: January 12 2011, 12:00:47 PM »
Quote from: "Pyro6 @ Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:28 am"
Quote from: "Steve Wood @ Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:04 pm"
school has become a joke in many places...Excep t China and India.

You got that right...I was referring to the US of A

I went into a store with a friend one day so he could buy cigars...start ed to check out and the college girl messed up the cash register and could not check us out.  I said, "just add the sales tax to the price" and that will be what we owe you."  She handed me a calculator to do it for her.  Told her that I did not need a calculator to do that.....and told her the price.   She looked at me like I was from Mars.....

College girl...

I dread to stand in check out lines at Walmart for fear that the register will break before I get there.....not to mention the dreaded "Price Check!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12 2011, 12:04:47 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Wood @ Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:00 am"
Quote from: "Pyro6 @ Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:28 am"
Quote from: "Steve Wood @ Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:04 pm"
school has become a joke in many places...Excep t China and India.

You got that right...I was referring to the US of A

I went into a store with a friend one day so he could buy cigars...start ed to check out and the college girl messed up the cash register and could not check us out.
Steve Wood

Offline Zap

• Turbo Street Eliminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12 2011, 12:22:37 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Wood @ Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:04 pm"
....I was not a popular person after that.

So that was the seminal event.
You can't get sweet shit outta a sour asshole

Offline ULYCYC

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12 2011, 12:45:17 PM »
My mother gave my first grade teacher a permission letter to hit me if I got out of line.
The teacher smacked me out of my chair when a spitball stuck to her head. The good old days :rolleyes:
ED BAKER
87-T, Maplight equipped rear view mirror..
01 Park Ave Ultra S\'charged
BPG#1458

Offline Spoolin'

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12 2011, 02:06:29 PM »
Most of my classes were held in the Principal's office. To this day, he and I are still good friends. The friendships and bonds you make in life....  :D

I got suspended on many occasions throughout junior high and high school, mostly for seeing how far I could push. One teacher used to kick me out of class at least once a week, but he would always let me come back because he knew I'd learn something everyday. This teacher and I are also still in contact today, and he's one of the best teachers I ever had.

The most memorable suspension came when I was a senior in High School. Another classmate and I made a bet on who could yell "penis" the loudest down the hallway... He was at one end, and I at the other. Needless to say I won, and the other students had a great laugh, but the three manliest women teachers alive (who's classrooms were all near my locker) didn't find it funny. To this day I don't believe they like the word penis, or the penis in general. It was about 5 minutes into study hall when my good friend Mr. Principal comes looking at me. He asked me about the situation, I told him the truth. As he's trying not to laugh, he tells me I've been suspended. I got home from school, told my mom what happened. She wasn't impressed, but she also didn't believe me. She called the school to confirm, and the Principal told her what had happened. Without missing a beat, my mom says "You suspended him for saying 'Penis', I could see a few detentions but a suspension is ridicoulus. Its not like he was yelling 'cock' or 'dick' or 'balls'!" It was 2nd semester, I had all my credits to graduate, so it wasn't really a big deal... But they still talked about it at my 10 year reunion last year  :rolleyes;

Offline Pyro6

• PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12 2011, 03:51:01 PM »
Quote from: "Spoolin' @ Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:06 pm"
Most of my classes were held in the Principal's office. To this day, he and I are still good friends. The friendships and bonds you make in life....

Offline TSM Girl

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12 2011, 04:22:55 PM »
Well, coming from one of the worst school districts in Chicagoland, (suburbs), all I can say is, I was so glad to graduate and I think my parents were also because the I was the last child of 3 to get the hell out of there.
Donna

"Stupid people should NOT breed!"

Offline chrisgarrett

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12 2011, 09:42:30 PM »
I teach at a private school in a north Chicago suburb.  Whenever I travel on monthly field trips with my classes, I'm am constantly complimented on how courteous and well-behaved the students are.  Our school is supported by private donations and tuition.  Our school has consistently placed in the top 8% of schools in the nation according to our national test scores (5% last year).   My fellow teachers are all dedicated, hard-working men and women who put in long hours and spend many one-on-one hours with students who need help.
We use the latest technology like laptops for each student and Smartboards, and we use old fashion techniques like requiring students set aside quiet time to read at least one hour per day.
While I would like to say that our outstanding results are because of us teachers, it would be a lie.  The truth is our students excel primarily because our parents are dedicated to our school and seeing that their children do well.  The parents of our children have to pay several thousand dollars per student per year in tuition.  The fact that they are willing to spend this money, when there are plenty of free public schools in our district, proves that they care about the quality of their kid's education.  These parents are not wealthy by any means, but they make the personal sacrifice for their children.  Better parenting not more money is the solution to improving our schools.
Here's a picture of one of my 8th grade classes.

Offline Wrecked Em

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hotairbuick.com
« Reply #40 on: January 12 2011, 10:31:09 PM »
Good work Chris!!!!

If throwing money at it solved the problem, Chicago Public Schools would be some the best schools in the nation.

Offline Zap

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12 2011, 10:49:44 PM »
My hats off to the teachers of the world. You couldn't pay me enough to do what you do.
You can't get sweet shit outta a sour asshole

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12 2011, 11:10:37 PM »
My fiancee's son's teachers are shocked that we are involved and ask questions. Scary times.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12 2011, 11:20:50 PM »
Unfortunately, Chris, schools and teachers, like yours and you are the exception rather than the rule.

I guess parents accept it and therefore, it is...

It seems such a simple problem, but, the education appears to be anything but.
Steve Wood

Offline $1987 GN$

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12 2011, 11:36:28 PM »
Quote from: "chrisgarrett @ Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:42 pm"
I teach at a private school in a north Chicago suburb.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal