Author Topic: Plugs or governor?  (Read 2392 times)

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
Plugs or governor?
« on: November 23 2016, 09:00:55 PM »
i was thinking today about the mod I did on my governor to raise the shift point and then I got to thinking maybe I have too hot of a plug. 

I guess what I'm asking here is what would be the symptoms of a plug that's too hot? Detonation via KR on the log?  Are there other signs? How would you read the plug to tell if it's too hot? What would be a tell tell sign of blowing out the spark vs the plug being too hot? No detonation if its blowing out the spark?
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Plugs or governor?
« Reply #1 on: November 24 2016, 02:25:35 AM »
The symptom of running too hot of a plug is that you melt the electrode off.

You can look at the electrode and tell your heat range. There will be a line where it changes color. You want that line to be about in the middle of the ground strap.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/plug-reading-lm.html
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30 2016, 12:51:48 PM »
Thanks Earl but I don't plan on shutting down my car immediately after the run and towing it back from the track. i was hoping to get some insight on symptoms while the car is running and maybe something to look for on the log
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07 2016, 09:56:22 PM »
Perhaps plugs weren't my problem.  Time will tell.

Drove my car down to work and in the way back it started running rough, really rich but no codes on the TR6 or the ECM. Luckily I brought tools and parts with me. Pulled out the laser thermometer and found #3 and #6 running cold on the headers. Follow both plug wires up the the coil pack and both are on the same coil. Grab the voltmeter to ohm out the coil.  Yep, dead short on that coil. Grab the stock module, coil pack and wires from the trunk and commence to swapping it out. 

Fired up and drove the rest of the 200 miles home trouble free. It made for a late night but I didn't have to call the wife to come and get me.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal