Author Topic: Rocker Cover Thread Size?  (Read 2872 times)

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
Rocker Cover Thread Size?
« on: May 14 2015, 07:27:06 PM »
Anyone know what the rocker cover bolt thread size is?
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Rocker Cover Thread Size?
« Reply #1 on: May 14 2015, 10:30:49 PM »
Brad, for some reason, I think the head side of the stud is not metric but is 1/4-20

I may be wrong :)
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15 2015, 07:15:36 AM »
Thanks Steve. Got a pair of new rocker covers here...need some hardware for them. :)

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26 2015, 03:19:43 AM »
It's 1/4-20.  Measure your bosses and add 1/2" for the OAL.

The way to tell if you need SAE or metric is to look at what the bolt threads into.   If it's a turbo specific part like an intake, crank pulley, accessory bracket, etc it'll be metric.   If the threads into a plain ole shitbox 3.8 N/A part, it's SAE. Like anything to bolt to the heads or block.

The only exceptions are that goofy useless stud bolt on the water pump. It's metric.  And the bolt that hold the accessory bracket to the block and head are metric.

You have to pay attention on some assemblies too. Some have both...  Like the crank hub. The bolts that hold the pulley to the hub are metric, the hub to balancer bolts are SAE.  Headers are the same way, X-over bolts are metric.

With my header bolt kit, all the header stuff is SAE but on the factory setup the studs have SAE ends and Metric ends (much like the factory bolts on the bottom of the timing cover).
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29 2015, 08:41:03 PM »
Earl, I'm likely gonna be using these aluminum TA heads. Can you make me up a set of stainless studs/nuts to fit the stock headers? Is so...let me know.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31 2015, 05:03:25 PM »
Something like this?  :)

I also have rocker cover bolts to fit your afterparket parts...

....the only part that sucks is that it costs $20 to get a $5.85 flat rate box across the border to Canadia (and I can't go over 4#s I believe it is)

« Last Edit: May 31 2015, 05:08:01 PM by earlbrown »
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31 2015, 08:18:06 PM »
Thanks for responding Earl. Can you just not toss them in a bubble wrap envelope and ship them USPS? I shipped those injectors and chips to Jason via cheapskate Canada Post for $10.72. :)

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01 2015, 01:30:18 AM »
You can't do USPS first class is they're over 13oz.  The header kit is pretty heavy by itself.

Before gas spiked, shipping to Canadia wasn't that bad, just an extra buck or two.   Now it' pretty expensive getting little stuff across the border.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 01 2015, 09:00:12 AM »
divide and conquer?
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01 2015, 05:11:19 PM »
First class at 13oz each (instead of priority) would be $12 and might take 3 packages to get a header kit completed.

Even at two it's still more expensive than a flat rate box.

No idea why it's so much more with the border being involved.   I get there's extra work involved, but it's over triple just for crossing the border.

It's less than $6 if I stay in the US and territory's, I sent a flat rate box to Guam a few weeks ago that had to weigh over 20 pounds and it was less than $6.  I know that has to be more expensive than a Canada trip.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01 2015, 05:27:14 PM »
Geez, all we have to do is toss our junk in a box...go down to the post office...have it weighed and measured...and off it goes. I just tell 'em to give me the cheapass rate. I've shipped Buick junk all over the lower 48 for next to nothing. :rock:

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01 2015, 05:54:53 PM »
Odd.   I was thinking we were just big fans of importing stuff from China and Mexico.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal