Author Topic: mildly interesting info about locks  (Read 1820 times)

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
mildly interesting info about locks
« on: August 30 2017, 09:55:45 AM »
 European standards require secondary, or Thatcham, locks that provide a double lock of sorts. Thatcham locks prevent interior door handles from opening doors to thwart thieves.  Also, European standards require that doors must unlock during an accident to allow first responders faster access.  I would think a fairly important safety feature that should focus on reliability and action at all costs. Electronic child lock features allow the option for the rear seat interior door handles to be disabled while driving.  Thus, keeping little ones from accidentally opening doors while on the road.
The introduction of passive entry systems puts pressure on unlock timing.  So much so that one car manufacturer has implemented a third lock motor in their door latch mechanism just to speed up the unlock response time when accessing a door handle.  They don’t want the customer to have to wait even 100ms to unlock a door.  Those few milliseconds of speed are a feature that they are paying for.....
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Re: mildly interesting info about locks
« Reply #1 on: August 30 2017, 10:36:14 AM »
So, ten or fifteen yrs later, you know after corrosion and age, how well is all this "safety" equipment gonna work? And when you are trapped in the vehicle because your "lock system" malfunctioned after a collision, who is at fault then?

Sounds like a lot of sales speak for, "look at our safety features" for the casual observer that has a hard time with which end of a screw driver is the handle.

Yeah, my T has manual locks and windows by Armstrong. No need for all that extra weight.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal