Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 5446 times)

Offline TTA1326

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boosted
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #15 on: July 12 2016, 12:24:02 PM »
Anybody running the Cometic aramid fiber oil pan gasket?  I hate cork.  I hate flat rubber.  I wish I could get a 3800 style gasket for this car...

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12 2016, 12:29:52 PM »
Have you tried RJC's extra thick stock oil pan gasket, it's 1/4" thick and very beefy.

http://rjcracing.com/product/gaskets/

Offline TTA1326

• Bone Stock
  • Boosted
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12 2016, 12:32:52 PM »
Yes, I've seen it, but haven't tried it.  Better yet, anybody tried this?

http://magnumgaskets.mycarparts.net/products/Magnum%20Gaskets-OS21057?product_applic ation_id=8668224009

Looks right doesn't it?

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12 2016, 12:50:46 PM »
I used one similar to that Pic years ago (it was Orange) but not sure where I got it? Maybe came from the same old vendor who used to sell the Thicker Duttweiler (sp) Cork gasket. The RJC thick cork gasket is a copy of that & if not it's very similar. I've used them both on a few engines without issues. I like to spray them with the sticky gasket stuff (forget the name) so they stick to the pan side making them easy to install.
« Last Edit: July 12 2016, 12:56:02 PM by Just a Six? »
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12 2016, 01:54:35 PM »
Just to piss everyone off we use the rubber gasket...cuz it's readily available. Just a smear of silicone to hold it in place and then install. Don't gorilla the bolts on. I think a lot of guys torque 'em too hard and squeeze the gasket out.

If you're blowing oil past the pan gasket...then you got bigger problems...and nothing short of welding the pan to the block will help.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline TTA1326

• Bone Stock
  • Boosted
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12 2016, 02:26:11 PM »
It's not blowing oil (from the oil pan anyway).  It's just an untouched 93K short block.  It's never been unbolted from the frame.  Now, leaking oil all over the damn place from the 4 valve cover breathers, that's a different story.  I know how to handle the rubber gaskets (and even cork), but I still hate them lol!  Can't help it.

I'll be doing exactly as you said if I can't find a 3800 style gasket that will work with no problems.  I called Magnum Gaskets tech support because the link I posted says it's for NA 3.8Ls, no turbos.  The tech could not tell me why, but it supposedly checking with the engineering department and will email me an answer at some point.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12 2016, 03:25:50 PM »
I'm up here in Canada...and trying to get ANY parts for these cars is a nitemare. My first choice is always cork...but I'm not willing to wait weeks on end to get them.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal