Author Topic: Odd bearing wear  (Read 2623 times)

Offline larrym

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
Odd bearing wear
« on: January 29 2015, 01:39:59 AM »
Pulled the thrust cap off the motor that was in my car.
It always had a vibration at about 3000 rpm it pulsed figured it was a balance issue from the previous owners rebuild.

Would a rotating assemble out of balance cause wear like this?

86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Odd bearing wear
« Reply #1 on: January 29 2015, 04:25:54 AM »
that looks like a spec of crud beneath the bearing.

....assUming the bores are nice and round and true and the crank is straight and the journals are nice and round and true.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline larrym

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29 2015, 01:43:20 PM »
Nice fretting on the caps too  :P
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30 2015, 06:10:39 AM »
Larry...not sure if an engine imbalance would cause that. The original engine in my car had a heckuva vibration to it...never thot to ask Joe what the bearings looked like when he freshened it up for me. That engine is the one I`m currently beating on...and I always have Joe balance the rotating assemblies on all my engines.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Joe Buick

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31 2015, 11:50:40 AM »
Scoob! If I recall in your engines the Bearings always look evenly worn. I can always save them for you next time.
JB RACING

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31 2015, 02:20:24 PM »
Scoob! If I recall in your engines the Bearings always look evenly worn. I can always save them for you next time.

I learned early on to get off the loud pedal if I see a hint of KR....cuz it`ll turn bearings into tinfoil in a heartbeat. I have Joe magnaflux the block, rods and crank...and the crank and rods are checked for straight. If an align hone is required...the n it`s done...along with the deck being checked for straight. The big ends on the rods are also checked for size...and the rotating assembly balanced. I leave the bearing clearances and ring gaps up to Joe. He does the oiling mods to the cover and sets the oil pump clearances.

Getting back on track. Larry, it`s hard to say if the clearances were correct in that engine...or how much KR it saw.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal