Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Z06
« on: October 17 2014, 08:03:15 AM »
In tests at GM’s Milford Proving Grounds near Detroit, the 2015 Chevy Corvette Z06 equipped with an automatic has
 turned 0-60 mph times of 2.95 seconds, making it about a quarter of a second faster than the same vehicle with
 a manual trans.

GM says the new car is the most powerful in the company’s history and is the first front-engine,
 rear-wheel-drive car to break the three-second 0-60 mph barrier.

The giant automaker says a new eight-speed automatic transmission is the biggest reason for the car’s acceleration.
 “For a long time, automatic transmissions were luxury items and never seen as having high performance,”
GM spokesman Monte Doran told Design News.
 “But new automatic transmissions have gotten so good that they are actually faster in a straight line on a track.”

Click on the Corvette Z06 for an up close and personal look.

The Chevy Corvette Z06 offers a 0-60 mph time of 2.95 seconds, making it the fastest production car ever tested at its 2.9-mile Milford Road Course.
 It will go on sale early in 2015. (Source: Chevrolet)

The 2015 Corvette Z06 uses a new Hydra-Matic 8L90 eight-speed that is 8 lb lighter than the company’s previous six-speed automatic.
 With the eight-speed, GM says the Z06 is the fastest production car ever tested at its 2.9-mile Milford Road Course.

In contrast, the same car with a seven-speed manual transmission was clocked at about a quarter-second slower, coming in at 3.20 seconds,
 GM said. “With a manual transmission, the car is actually slowing down as you shift because you stop applying power to the wheels
 when you change gears,” Doran told us. “But the automatic is designed to put power to the wheels while the car is shifting.

That way, the car can effectively shift faster than any human with a manual transmission.”

Only a handful of production cars have posted sub-three-second 0-60 mph times.
 The all-wheel drive Nissan GT-R and Porsche 911 Turbo did it.
 In the supercar category, the McLaren 650S and Bugatti Veyron, among others, have done it.

-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Z06
« Reply #1 on: October 17 2014, 09:17:17 AM »
..snip

I thought my new Tesla D with AWD could break the 3-second zero-to-sixty barrier too, but I was wrong.

My big green tree-hugging family five-seater takes 3.2 seconds for zero-to-sixty - a full 250 milliseconds more than the Z06.  Still faster than an MB SLR McLaren, Lambo Murcielago, Ferrari 599 GTO, Pagani Zonda F, or a 911 Turbo (slower than the 911 Turbo S though).

Independent performance test results of Teslas are typically 10% better than Tesla's published figures, so it could be the big D family car is actually faster than the Corvette...  but even then it would still not quite be one of the top-ten fastest production cars in the world. 

But even if my Tesla is a slow poke, at least I can use it on the moon.  Try that with an ICE : )

-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
Re: Z06
« Reply #2 on: October 17 2014, 10:15:35 AM »
Those Teslas are really nice. Would love to ride in one some time

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal