Author Topic: Hey Earl?  (Read 2735 times)

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Hey Earl?
« on: May 09 2014, 05:37:03 PM »
Bought some Toomey pipes for my RZ350, it says up to 50% power increase.  So do you think I'll hit 90hp? :rofl: What are your suggestions on jetting?  I was thinking of putting in the 420 main jet.  Factory pilots are 27.5, do you think I should change the pilot?  Or do you think I should start with the 410 main jet?

I was thinking of the 420 because of the cold weather and my muscular 240lb frame.

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Earl?
« Reply #1 on: May 09 2014, 08:45:32 PM »
No way in thell you're going to get 50% just by bolting on pipes.   On the jetting I have no idea. It's to simplistic.   First you have to nail down what oil you're going to run and what mixture.  Personally I haven't found anything that beats Yamalube 2R for premix.  Plus it smells groovy.

Once that's set get a box of brand new NGK plugs and start doing to WOT throttle chops.  Read the hell out of the plugs, the piston crown and the exhaust port and the bike will tell you what jetting is best.   No idea on the starting point, you're burning metric canadian air.  All my charts are printed in 'merican.  :)
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09 2014, 08:52:33 PM »
I like the Yamalube as well.  What do you use for crankcase oil?

I think your wrong, it will easily make 50% more horsepower! :icon_lol:   My RZ race pipe made 66 hp at the wheel with porting, reeds, spacers, and Toomey pipes.  So I am thinking if I'm really lucky maybe 10hp but probably be around 5-7hp.

The weather changes so much here I'd have to tune it for a cold day just to be safe.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10 2014, 01:34:54 AM »
Yamalube4 in my crankcases with a wet clutch.  (and my TZ with a dry clutch...   I'm not worried about freeing up parasitic drag using ATF on that expensive thing)
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10 2014, 01:43:43 PM »
I'm running the Amsoil full synthetic for injection oil, because I ran out of the Yammalube so I just bought it at the only store that was open on a Sunday.  I was thinking of trying Motul for the crankcase.  Wonder how it compares to the Yammalube?

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10 2014, 03:54:28 PM »
When dealing with wet clutches it's been my experience to NEVER change oils once the frictions 'learn' a certain oil.

My first superbike was a Ninja 600 and the PO ran Castrol straight 30 in it....     I switched to Castrol 10/30 and the clutches slipped like hell. Swapped back and everything was good.   I never did get a chance to try an actual motorcycle oil on that bike to see how they acted without friction modifiers in the oil.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14 2014, 10:19:21 AM »
I use 10w30 Silkolene in my ATV.. It's wet clutch too.

* SuperSix remembers now that he needs to change his oil...
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23 2014, 05:41:20 PM »
I put the 2 to 1 air filter, rejetted the carbs and put the pipes on during the long weekend.  Bike breaths much better and definitely pulls harder.  Can't wait to take it out for a good rip and see how it performs! :rock:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal