Author Topic: Quote of the day  (Read 1884 times)

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
Quote of the day
« on: January 30 2014, 07:25:06 PM »
John Spina:

Just remember one thing; the chip does not make the car run badly - unless - the ECM isn't reading the chip. So, a car that runs normally, then starts to act up, doesn't have the chip to blame. Look elsewhere.

About 80% of the problems with our turbo cars boil down to ignition related issues. And of that, maybe 75% of those problems can be traced to wiring issues. Bad electrical connectors and connections, plug wires that fail, low voltage issues related to aging wiring, etc.

First thing you need to do is remove the Fan Delay Relay. This horrible-design part is the source of many electrical issues. I have seen the relay fail and kill batteries overnight MANY times, resulting in the car owner replacing the battery, alternator, cables, etc., just to find that those weren't the culprit. You don't need it. Remove it. Period.

The rest of your problems are usually sensor failures or calibration drifting, such as a defective MAF sensor or polluted  oxygen sensor. The stickler is the MAF; it can go out of calibration and NOT set a code. Usually results in excessive rich condition, or bad idle. A scan tool is a must. And a box of spare parts is also a great thing to have. Scour the earth to find an original Delco coil module and MAF sensor, it'll buy you years of normal running operation.

And finally, weld the crack on the header near the No. 3 exhaust port. It's there. You have it. Fix it. That crack is the major source of rich-running engines as is sucks air during idle and fools the O2 sensor into thinking the engine is lean.

Print this post, read it before you go to bed at night, and memorize it.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: Quote of the day
« Reply #1 on: January 30 2014, 07:43:58 PM »
That's some good advice!

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31 2014, 09:41:16 AM »
That's some good advice!

Except for finding an original MAF... there is no reason to retain that POS (or pay a premium for it) with all of the conventional options that are easily adaptable to the platform.  Included in that spare parts bin should be an ECM or two, because after 30 years they too are prone to wear and failure.

One thing I have never looked into is what corrective measures Bob Bailey took when scaling the various MAFs supported by his "MAF Translators"?  I say this only because in the world of LSX motors there is the ability to compensate for potential changes to the MAF scaling (ie. porting, big intakes, intake manifold changes, etc) which keeps the fuel trims in line for the ECM (as it is only as accurate as the sensors feeding it information).  It was for this reason I went Speed Density with my MAFT Pro.

Oh, and for the sake of $200 a standalone WB O2 sensor will allow you to get an indepedant second opinion on what the ECM is seeing/saying.

The digital/analog setup on these cars can be very frustrating to work with at times... patience should be the owner's first modification.

>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31 2014, 04:26:03 PM »
Except for finding an original MAF... there is no reason to retain that POS (or pay a premium for it) with all of the conventional options that are easily adaptable to the platform.  Included in that spare parts bin should be an ECM or two, because after 30 years they too are prone to wear and failure.

I still have the stock MAF on my low milage car.  If you want to keep a low milage car all original then I can except buying one, other wise, I agree.  And definitely worth having spare ECM's.  I have two.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal