Author Topic: Riding Lawn Mowers  (Read 4133 times)

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
Riding Lawn Mowers
« on: May 21 2013, 01:11:49 PM »
Well it looks like my 5 year old WalMart special 22" self propelled B&S "Brute" is about to give up the ghost - so I have about a week to find a replacement to mow our flat 3/4 acre lot.

We have decided that a riding mower would be the best investment for the sake of time and money vs. replacing what we have with more of the same.

From what I have read I don't need a zero-turn unit.

What I believe I need is:
a) 42" cut
b) +/-20hp (I like the idea of a V-twin engine)
c) Robust design (which is adapable to a mulcher)
d) A good warranty (more than 1yr is preferred)
e) Ability to pull lawn accessories (ie. a rolling drum); and
f) Maybe the ability to run a snowblower attachment (because my driveway is 150' long).

I'd rather not spend more than $2000 (taxes in).

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Riding Lawn Mowers
« Reply #1 on: May 21 2013, 02:58:49 PM »
Get a couple year old John Deere, they are built like tanks, fits all your requirements except the warranty ( you wont need it) and with regular maintainence wont give you any trouble for YEARS. I had an 1985 185, just upgraded to a zero turn 445 and gave the 185 to my father in law. He had a 2 year old Huskvarna and says the 28 year old JD does a better job, is quieter, turns easier. I'm sure this 445 will be the last mower I'll need to buy as I'm 47 now. My father and uncle have also had the same experience with JD.
  Forgot to mention my lawn is about 3.5 acres so it got used ALOT
Just my 2 cents
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Pyro6

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21 2013, 05:51:54 PM »
Well it looks like my 5 year old WalMart special 22" self propelled B&S "Brute" is about to give up the ghost - so I have about a week to find a replacement to mow our flat 3/4 acre lot.

We have decided that a riding mower would be the best investment for the sake of time and money vs. replacing what we have with more of the same.

From what I have read I don't need a zero-turn unit.

What I believe I need is:
a) 42" cut
b) +/-20hp (I like the idea of a V-twin engine)
c) Robust design (which is adapable to a mulcher)
d) A good warranty (more than 1yr is preferred)
e) Ability to pull lawn accessories (ie. a rolling drum); and
f) Maybe the ability to run a snowblower attachment (because my driveway is 150' long).

I'd rather not spend more than $2000 (taxes in).

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
I wished you lived close to me. One of my friends is trading in his Cub Cadet because he is anal retentive. Sounds like it would work for you.

Offline stevemon

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.throttlebodys.com
« Reply #3 on: May 21 2013, 07:37:32 PM »
I put in Tif 419 grass here and bought a Cub Cadet RTZS 42" Zero Turn. Could not recommend it more for the way it cuts. If a pretty lawn is important to you, check others in your area and ask those with the better looking yards what mower they use.
2004 Ford Ranger Edge Ext Cab
2009 Toyota Rav4 Sport 4WD, V-6
1986 GN - Sold
1989 TTA #10 - Sold
2006 Itasca Navion Motorhome

Offline tb3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23 2013, 08:25:48 PM »
the most important thing to me in a riding  mower is how fast it is. 
I sometimes use it to run to the parts store when the gn is broke   :013: :068: :rock: :cheers: :atbeer:
When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24 2013, 01:50:59 AM »
the most important thing to me in a riding  mower is how fast it is. 
I sometimes use it to run to the parts store when the gn is broke   :013: :068: :rock: :cheers: :atbeer:

Good thing they don't have odometers!!  :D
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline tb3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24 2013, 11:07:13 AM »
my crazyest story on a lawn mower.  :icon_eyes:

I was mowing on the john deere down by the pond and you know how sometimes you hit patches with mostly dirt and no grass, maybes some pine combs, sticks and what-not,...and the blades just kick crap up everywhere, especially when its windy.... 
So I'm cruising along cuttin and jammin some tom petty or bruce springsten or the like through my head phones,... and I'm noticing a ton of debris all around me and the tractor, a couple seconds later it occured to me theres no wind, or anything I should be kicking up being I'm mowing thick grass. 
then, one of the "debris" lands right on the top of my right hand.  It was one of those huge yellow and black bumble-bees    :stick: :100:
I was in a swarm of hundreds if not thousands of these giant bumble-bees! :wtf:
I jumped off that tractor screaming like a girl and I bet I ran a half-mile doing karate-chops and ninja-kicks. :squee:
its a good thing the kill switch in the seat was working casue I sure as heck wasn't going back to shut it off!
I came back the next day armed with spray and a rain coat.
didn't see a single bee :rolleyes;

When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25 2013, 01:33:20 PM »
Good story... I got attacked by a nest of yellow jackets TWICE last year. Pain and inflammation like you wouldn't believe - burning my flesh off hurts less.

We are getting a John Deere D140 (3 blades and a 48" cut backed by a 22hp v-twin) and upgrading to mulching blades.  It can carry a snowblower attachment too.

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/products/equipment/riding_mowers/lawn_tractors/100_series/d140/d140.page

Getting it for $2200 before taxes, but financed at 0% for 12 months.  Can't beat that.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25 2013, 04:47:55 PM »
Looks good but I say we take it to the track & see what kinda 60ft times it pulls??  :player:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25 2013, 06:31:05 PM »
Mikey always has extra turbos laying around....
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26 2013, 09:05:30 PM »
I may think about boosting it after it is out of the warranty period. ;)
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28 2013, 07:29:38 PM »
Look what arrived yesterday afternoon; I can't believe I didn't get one sooner... it is like go karting!

22hp in a sub-500lb chassis is fun!
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28 2013, 09:03:52 PM »
Dude,... needs rims...
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal