Author Topic: Kindle Book Thing??  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Kindle Book Thing??
« on: October 02 2011, 07:37:32 AM »
Wendy has been mentioning this Kindle Book unit. I looked at a new one coming out for $110 yet I see older ones for more $$?? How does this one look?? I just need a basic book storage unit for her without to many fancy gadgets as I'll end up downloading the books anyways!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_70050_21312040_pe_hero/?ASIN=B0051QVF7A
Maybe I should get a larger one as it's a pretty small screen??

PS: She is 50 at months end so I have to get my act together soon!
« Last Edit: October 02 2011, 07:41:34 AM by Just a Six? »
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Book Thing??
« Reply #1 on: October 02 2011, 08:57:47 AM »
The family got together and bought me the large DX for Christmas  couple of years ago
I really like it, I don't  think I'd be happy with the smaller ones however the wife is happy with hers- depend if you are willing to make the tradeoff of weight versus font/(number of characters on the screen) size and dollars.

The big one is much better at handling pdfs, I like it for for reading schematics, wiring diagrams, maps.

Much bigger and heavier tho, the small ones will fit in a purse and is fairly light.

Since our phone data plans are so freakin' 'spensive here I don't have. The kindle with 3G comes in handy on the road to look up addresses which I can plug into the GPS.
3G Web browsing is slow and very awkward. Of course the Amazon store works well
and books dowload in seconds even when cell reception is naught.

Annoying that many books cannot be "loaned" to another kindle. Lots of free older books see Guetenberg project online.

I'd set up a US Amazon account and link to that, many many more books.
The only limitation is that magazine and newspaper subscriptions  won't work without extra fees but I don't use those.
« Last Edit: October 02 2011, 09:05:27 AM by daveismissing »
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02 2011, 09:04:09 AM »

Looks like the cheaper ones are WiFi only, not 3G. I would not get one without 3G, too limiting.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 02 2011, 09:43:33 AM »
I got a Kindle last Christmas.  One of the best things I ever got.  Amazon has made a fortune off me on 0.99 sci fi books!  Before that, I used my Dell netbook.  But the kindle is lighter than a regular paperback and is really neat.  You can change font sizes, make bookmarks, etc.  I never saw the need for a 3G version as I have wifi at home.

Now that Amazon has just announced a color tablet at $199, they lowered the regular Kindles to $79, I believe.  The regular Kindles are very easy on the eyes and easy to read as they don't reflect light.  Battery lasts a long time and I can read a couple of books without having to charge it.  I do read fast tho.

I have been reading comic books on my HP TouchPad that I snagged in the fire sale...now it works perfectly for that...brillia nt color.  :D
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02 2011, 10:24:16 AM »
She just wants it to read books either in bed or travelling etc. Nothing all that fancy. So the one I linked to will do the job OK? I'll set her up on Amazon & she can download all the books she likes. Since I really have no interest in the thing (maybe that will change?) any input you have to direct me to what's the best for that purpose is great! Thanks!
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 02 2011, 10:56:26 AM »
I have the keyboard model that sells for $99...it may be a bit quicker to find a book with because you can hit the keys instead of working your way thru the onscreen keyboard, but, yours is newer with more screen space...I usually do my searching on my computer and find the books I want, then download them to the Kindle from the Kindle...

Yes, it would fill her needs very well.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02 2011, 11:49:16 AM »
Thanks I'll order one up along with some other goodies! ;)
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal