Author Topic: Old School Turbo vs New School Turbo  (Read 7026 times)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Old School Turbo vs New School Turbo
« Reply #15 on: August 21 2011, 11:11:52 PM »
I don't many will disagree with you.  Sometimes this stuff is touted to be nearly magical, but, without compressor maps, etc., one has a difficult time in evaluating the situation.

I am too old, and too cynical, but, I think there is way too much hype and not enough facts.  Being combination dependent means that only a few may really see any gain over their current hardware.  The 6262 is the current magical bullet.  I have had guys writing me that have completely stock drive trains and they want to know why their car does not run as well as it did with the stock turbo.  Some vendor promised them that this was what they have to have.

It is amazing that with all the new units out there that are claimed to be superior replacement to the the TA49 usually do not...One has to proceed with caution :)
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22 2011, 07:33:58 PM »
I've run several turbos over the years...stocke r...TA49...615 2...70...and now the 6262. All indications tell me this 6262 should be a blast at 22PSI. Having said that, I ran the TA49 years ago...but the car had the wrong convertor in it from the previous owner...and stalled out at 1700 RPM...and with the .85 housing on the 49...the best short time I could squeeze out of it was 2.2. I bracket raced the car for 2 years with it...and it went a consistent 13.0 at 112 mph at 24 PSI. I have video of the car...and you can see it do absolutely nothing for several hundred feet...and then would squat its ass...and take off. I've always wondered what it would have done ET wise if it had of been matched up with the proper convertor. Sooner or later a customer is gonna walk in the shop saying they don`t want their 44 or 49...and Dusty Bradford will be getting a call a short time later with me asking him to spec one of his race convertors for me. Mark...you`re gonna be incredibly happy with your 49.
« Last Edit: August 22 2011, 07:42:57 PM by Scoob »
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22 2011, 08:32:37 PM »
One day, it will fire!!!
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline ttipe

• VOLUMETRIC EFFICIENCY NUT CASE
  • Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23 2011, 09:59:19 PM »
Most have not exploited their combos well,or perhaps at all.I have saved a lot of old tests from days of yore,and folks were running 10's with an abacus (stock computer) and bronze spear (60-1 compressor wheel).Combination,addressing the entire system and attention to detail get the timeslip.Peopl e spend gobs of money on this years "darling injector" or turbo and don't progress.There are lots of mods and tricks to make the car fly but you may not hear them from the vendors.My good friend Steve Yaklin used to say "cubic dollars are better than cubic inches"and for most this is true,but not for all.   
4" CAI, severely modded TA61, PTE slic with modded scoop,Weber shrtblock (in process modded Hemco), ported intake, ported GN1's, 212,206,111 cam, T & D 1.6 ratio,8.51 to 1,TA headers,60 lb's , XFI, 8an fuel feed, 6an return, 340L, 9.5 PTC 3200, Janis 2004R, boxed upr & lwrs, HR sway bar 275/ 60r/15s

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #19 on: August 24 2011, 12:05:57 AM »
Steve is one of my good friends as well.  I learned a lot from him.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal