Author Topic: most productive way to learn guitar  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Doober

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
most productive way to learn guitar
« on: April 24 2007, 04:46:59 AM »
I have this guitar and I dont have tons of time to play so Im looking for the most productive way to learn.  I dont have the money for a teacher so I would rather learn myself.  So far I have just been doing some pentatonic scales working on my timing and speed, what do you guys recommend.

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: most productive way to learn guitar
« Reply #1 on: April 24 2007, 06:08:11 AM »
Choose a couple of songs that you like that don't seem too difficult.
Locate the tablature for them, and start fumbling your way through.
See if you have any friends nearby that play at all. They could give you a few pointers that would help you with fingering, positioning, etc...
Rob

DCEPTCN

« Reply #2 on: April 24 2007, 03:37:13 PM »
I've always thought that we should do a guitar lesson sort of ongoing thread varying from novice to advanced....bu t who has the time to record runs and write up the tabs? Rob is right IMO, I started out on The Sky Is Crying and Vulgar Display of Power and just worked on everything within those discs for months. The best advice I could give is to 1. Study other's playing (technique, string gauge, tuning, etc.) 2. Remember not to get comfortable (I.E. *Always* be working on something that is just beyond your ability and keep at it until you've nailed it and 3. Instructional DVDs (read: the correct ones) are worth a king's ransom in helping you to watch others so that you can be sure that you're doing it right.......wh en I was 17 I wanted to learn how to warble- it said in the tab key of Steve Vai's Passion And Warfare to 'vibrate the tremolo bar rapidly'. I spent 2 months looking like a coked-up monkey masturbating before I was in a guitar store and a salesman was jamming and I heard him warble....I ran over and asked 'how'd you do that?'. He made a 'retard' face at me, pulled the bar up and just let go. DVDs, man!

By the way, I reject your attitude of 'how can I get max results with minimal practice?'. I *think* it was Chet Atkins who once said something to the tune of, 'There are no shortcuts in learning the instrument.... and I've been looking a long time'. You have to be a dedicated mofo or you'll get nowhere. 'Get back what you put in'....like Phil's mom.

Offline Doober

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24 2007, 04:56:11 PM »
I just meant that I dont have a ton of time to play alot so when I do practice I want to make sure Im being as productive as possible.

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
most productive way to learn guitar
« Reply #4 on: April 24 2007, 10:51:59 PM »
Keep pushing yourself and develop your ear. Make sure your guitar is in tune, but even if it is, maybe the song you're playing along with isn't. SRV tuned down a 1/2 step, for example. Just keep at it and push yourself more and more.

When I learned the 'warble' Hendrix used in 'Machine Gun', that was a personal epiphany for me. It was really just noise. Harmonic, noise.
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24 2007, 11:39:54 PM »
I used to punch my guitar to make it warble - The Chuck Norris approach.
But it is easier to grab the tremelo and let go, you get more duration from your warble that way.
Rob

Offline Doober

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25 2007, 01:50:00 AM »
I have been practicing some easier metal songs that are in drop d.  Been kind of sticking to that tuning for now cause I dont want to keep tuning up and down.  Also just started to practice alt picking and my speed is picking up.

DCEPTCN

« Reply #7 on: April 26 2007, 05:53:02 PM »
I am recommending to you all that you pick up the DVD that Guitar World has on news-stands right now....it's 3 hours of lessons from Andy Aledort on playing Axis: Bold As Love. Great shit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal